Mountain Project Logo

Ticks as a route pyramid

Original Post
acbergan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 10

I was curious what my climbing ticks look like when visualized as a pyramid, so I made a little app. Maybe MP will add something like it to there tick breakdown page. Anyway, here's what my pyramid looks like:

My ticks actually looks more balanced that I thought they would. What does your tick pyramid look like?

Justin Meyer · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2012 · Points: 47

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Suggestion: break out 5.easy into 5.6, 5.5, etc.

More advanced suggestion: provide a comparison pyramid that shows the average mountainproject user, maybe with average user being calculated only from people with a similar number of ticks or with the same highest grade.

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260
Tristan Mayfield · · SLC, UT · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 345

This is cool

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

Cool. I actually hand drew my tick pyramid recently (only for my top 4 highest grades). This is much easier!

Chris Myers · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 10

Way better visualization... MP should definitely build this in. Props bud

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 888

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

Interesting way to spray that you climb 5.12

I give it a 6/10!

Brett Bergeron · · Portland, OR · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 1

Dude this is great

Andrew Vinzant · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,449

I like it:

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

I haven't looked at it in a long time, but isn't that what 8anu does, only they do break it down into RP, onsight and TR(second) by color

acbergan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 10

Yea 8anu has something like this...that's where the idea came from.

I added a download button to make getting a png a bit easier.

If I find some time, I'll add some options to change the range of grades and route types. Global data would be fun to play with, but it would be a pain to get it from the API.

What about boulders?

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Tristan Mayfield wrote:

What about boulders?

Noone cares about bouldering.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

It would be cool if your tick pyramid knew to count only redpoint/onsight/flash ticks, and not include the hangdog ticks, as it currently does.

The one problem with something like this is there is a big difference between people who onsight those grades vs someone who takes 5 attampts vs 30 attempts before they learn a say 5.12a. So what is stronger in comparision taking 100 attempts to climb one 5.13a and average of 20 attempts per five 5.12a or climbing thirty 5.12a in under three attempts each. I think you should add in how many attempts each climb at a grade took and average it out to help show a better score at climbing grade. Clearly your first 5.12a will take alot more attempts but later on you may start on sighting 5.12a.

Eric K · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 45

The only thing that would make it cooler is differentiation between redpoint, flash, onsight and maybe distinguishing between sport/trad. I like having many levels of the pyramid and dont personally care to compare with others. Nice work, MP should add this as a feature.

Eric K wrote:

The only thing that would make it cooler is differentiation between redpoint, flash, onsight and maybe distinguishing between sport/trad. I like having many levels of the pyramid and dont personally care to compare with others. Nice work, MP should add this as a feature.

This already exist on mountain project. Go to your page than click on tick breakdown. It isn't a "pyramid" but if you were to rotate the graph 90 degree and mirror it you have the same as the pyramid.

Also it isn't really your fault but if you were to chart say the nose on the pyramid it would just add 1 tick to 5.9 climb. Even though there is what 31 pitches and it could mean you really did up to 5.13 pitches that should be ticks!

Also btw not sure if you have the data but you could maybe at least multiply the pitch count if you get that data with the grade and add them so if you did a 5.10 5 pitch climb it counts as 5 ticks instead of one. May not be the best since the grade for all the pitches is rarely the same but better than 1 tick for the entire climb.

Touche ViperScale...

Nick Niebuhr · · CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 465
ViperScale . wrote:

This already exist on mountain project. Go to your page than click on tick breakdown. It isn't a "pyramid" but if you were to rotate the graph 90 degree and mirror it you have the same as the pyramid.

Also it isn't really your fault but if you were to chart say the nose on the pyramid it would just add 1 tick to 5.9 climb. Even though there is what 31 pitches and it could mean you really did up to 5.13 pitches that should be ticks!

Also btw not sure if you have the data but you could maybe at least multiply the pitch count if you get that data with the grade and add them so if you did a 5.10 5 pitch climb it counts as 5 ticks instead of one. May not be the best since the grade for all the pitches is rarely the same but better than 1 tick for the entire climb.

Good point but I think single pitch sport climbers are more into tracking their stats like this.

Nick Niebuhr wrote:

Good point but I think single pitch sport climbers are more into tracking their stats like this.

They must all be lost into a giant pyramid. Graded routes are rarely the same grade. Lets face it you go climb a 10a on east coast and west coast and they will be completely different styles of climbing based on whatever someone felt like at that time. Sure maybe the high end new routes being set may have a little more balance in them because only a few people can climb them but most routes just aren't.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Ticks as a route pyramid"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started