Mountain Project Logo

Low-balling sellers

Original Post
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

So I'm bothered by the increasing culture of buyers low-balling sellers, but instead of ranting about it, I'm curious about why? Beyond the obvious, we'd all like a good deal, do people feel like they should just try to get something as cheaply as possible without regard to being fair to the seller?  (I see this on MP, other hobbies/forums I'm into, and other local classified listings)

I'm pretty sure that if I put some brand new Solutions up for sale for $50 + shipping, someone would offer $35 including shipping.

TheBirdman Friedman · · Eldorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 65

"You miss every shot you don't take."

Jef Anstey · · St. John's, NL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 140

because sometimes it works?

or at least gets them somewhere between their offer and the listed price

it's a bit silly when the item is already underpriced...but if they offer 75%+ of the asking price. I think k that's reasonable  most times

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

More often than not, people think that their used stuff is worth more than it is. Careful sale shopping usually allows you to get stuff at 20-40% off the original price for a brand new item. So the used price should be less than any possible way to buy new. This is climbing gear, it depreciates fast. It's really made to be used by one person until it's obsolete or damaged. 

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote:

More often than not, people think that their used stuff is worth more than it is. Careful sale shopping usually allows you to get stuff at 20-40% off the original price for a brand new item. So the used price should be less than any possible way to buy new. This is climbing gear, it depreciates fast. It's really made to be used by one person until it's obsolete or damaged. 

Agreed, I see this all the time. My question is about the culture or attitude of just really low-balling an already good price. I never list anything used for sale unless I check the current sale prices to make sure that I know what the actual value of the new products are, then discount heavily for my used stuff, even for my new stuff that I got but decide to sell.

K Weber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 15

It is simple business.  Tale as old as time.  There is no culture or attitude.

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote:

Ex-fucking-zactly - Came here to say this shit. Buying a used cam for 20-40% off retail is fucking retarded I cant believe people buy that shit! 

Then people like OP get pissed when I tell them what its actually worth. "Well with pro-deal you get 50% off NEW so ill give you 40% of the retail price for your used gear, and that's me being fair dude, because for another 8 bucks I can get a brand new fucking cam...and you best include shipping. 

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

The seller doesn't have to accept, so...who cares?

It also seems that some of the sellers got a good deal (if not a prodeal) and are trying to sell the item for a profit after using it. And thats bullshit. 

Ancent · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 34

This is just how peer-to-peer trading works. Ever been to a garage sale? Haggling is always part of the equation. Because you are not a store, there is no tax, there may be some degree of "use" to the item (thus depreciation), and you are not selling to numerous buyers, there is no set value or fixed price on what is being sold. It's a spectrum of what the product could be worth, and you--as the seller--will set a price on the high end of the spectrum, and me--as a buyer--will try to nudge that price toward the lower end. Hopefully we can meet in between.

germsauce Epstein · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 55

Thought this thread would be about sit-starts and 5-foot boulder-mantle problems, damn.  While I'm here, pretty sure the culture of negotiating price (seller starts high, buyer starts low, people agree on what they can live with) has been around since before money was invented.  Sorry to say you should expect this to be a part of your life forever, online or in the default-world.  If you wish to avoid low balls you can say so in your posting (price is firm, price non-negotiable)  although you'll probably still get low balls.  

TheBirdman Friedman · · Eldorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 65
germsauce Epstein wrote:

Thought this thread would be about sit-starts and 5-foot boulder-mantle problems, damn.  While I'm here, pretty sure the culture of negotiating price (seller starts high, buyer starts low, people agree on what they can live with) has been around since before money was invented.  Sorry to say you should expect this to be a part of your life forever, online or in the default-world.  If you wish to avoid low balls you can say so in your posting (price is firm, price non-negotiable)  although you'll probably still get low balls.  

Jeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

If you're open to some honest feedback, Ryan, I've got some. It looks like you are someone who works in the industry and gets samples and good deals. So the stuff you're selling is either "New" or "lightly used." But let's not kid about that. Once stuff has been owned by you it's not really "new." So even if you haven't worn those 5.10 Quantums there's not a lot of motive for me to spend $135 on a pair of shoes with no return policy, no warranty, whatever, when I could actually get them for that same amount from an online retailer. Or less. Unless your "for sales" are moving quite quickly it's likely that you are overpricing your gear. And, yes, there will always be someone who wants to buy your stuff for next to nothing. Can't blame them. Just ignore.

I've bought and sold endless gear on eBay and some here. To me, soft goods should be about 50% of what they would actually retail for. Hard goods like cams seem to hold value a little better. But people still have ridiculous expectations of what their used gear is worth.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

BTW, I have Tendon rope I really love that I bought about 4 years ago. It's about to get retired. If you have more good deals on Tendons in the future I'd be open to buying another.

Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Yeah I think the big thing is realizing what items actually retail for.  I always try to take 20% off the top as most of the time that is not a problem to find and figure out.  Then price accordingly from there. 

Shepido · · CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 50
Ryan Hamilton wrote:

So I'm bothered by the increasing culture of buyers low-balling sellers, but instead of ranting about it, I'm curious about why? Beyond the obvious, we'd all like a good deal, do people feel like they should just try to get something as cheaply as possible without regard to being fair to the seller?  (I see this on MP, other hobbies/forums I'm into, and other local classified listings)

I'm pretty sure that if I put some brand new Solutions up for sale for $50 + shipping, someone would offer $35 including shipping.

Basic Econ man - you are a price taker - The solutions sell for what you accept and not a dollar more and not a dollar less. Having people low ball you is part of the game. Ever buy/sell a house/car? Whether you accept the price is up to you. Also - why not play the game back - you can just  say you received at least 8 offers for well over $50, and give them an opportunity to up the bid, letting them know you will accept the highest bid. 

Barry M · · WV · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Never sold used gear and I have yet to buy any. 

I have sold plenty of items via Craiglist and FB. When I know I have them priced extremely fairly and receive a low ball I just respond with no thank you, I'm not strapped for cash. Not accepting offers. 

If you are regularly getting what you assume to be low ball offers then it's safe to say you are asking to much for your items. As mentioned above if you pay within 25-40% of retail you are likely impatient as a three year old, in need and can't wait, or a fool soon parted with his money. Because shopping around 25-40% off is fairly easy. So when looking at used gear IMO is "new"  value it's 25-40% less then retail. There is zero chance I would buy a $100 item for $60-75 because I could likely find it new at that price. 

Racechinees . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I often just set a fixed price; don't like it? Go somewhere else.

If they haggle or i do allow bits and they just lo ball it, than they annoy me and i'll ignore them. When annoyed i'm willing to keep ignoring them even when they raise there bid. I never have to sell something, it's just cleaning my closet to me. So i can happily wait for somebody else. 

J P · · SL, UT · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 15

If I offer a low price, it’s usually because that’s all I have to spend. But I usually tell them that. If they are willing to sell for what I have, it works out well for everyone. If not, not much time/effort waisted. They are the ones selling. I suppose it’s different if it’s a WTB (want to buy) situation.  It’s not just with gear that people do this... it’s with nearly anything that’s being resold... it’s not just on this forum either. Similar to a pawn-shop, or possibly e-bay. Offer what you can and perhaps it works. If not, or if you want/need and find that for a better deal, then pay what they are asking. But $50 for a used cam that sells for $60??? Seriously. My life is worth more than $10 bucks in piece of mind. On the other hand, if I have extra cash and wouldn’t mind a spare/leaver/aid piece... why not.

Used climbing gear is never the best idea anyway... I’ve seen people sell stuff that nobody should ever climb on again. There is ALWAYS a reason something is being resold.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Ryan Hamilton wrote:

Because I'm a "poor college student" who can't possibly afford what you are asking due to my craft beer habit.

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86

Bartering, old as dirt. 

Tom Sherman · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 433

I got a Walmart sleeping bag for sale that came unlashed from my pack last year and so I dragged it for 28 miles on the hike out. Only used by my incontinent dog though, not myself. I'm selling for 20% off retail.

Link here: Biggest Deal

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Low-balling sellers"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started