Mountain Project Logo

BOISE, ID - Looking for outdoor sport climbing partners (5.9-5.11)

Original Post
Rebecca Corn · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Moving to Boise, ID, in March 2017 and am looking to set up some climbing ventures. I am planning to get a gym membership (any recommendations would be great) but really pine to get outside. I’m psyched about climbing and camping over the weekend. Willing to travel to climb!

Currently climbing at 5.9-5.11 in the Midwest but am psyched to climb with whoever! Any and all time at the crag is the goal. In addition to meeting and vibingwith some new people on the west  

Shoot me a PM to discuss. Looking forward to the Idaho adventures!

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Welcome to Idaho! It's great, but don't tell, eh?

I'll be happy to help you get out, once you are here. We have a nice climbing community, and I don't think you'll have any trouble meeting climbers. As with anywhere, though, the hard part is getting compatible schedules.

Gyms: 

Boise State University has a nice little gym in their rec center, you can get in on a day pass. It's students, if that's an age group you enjoy. They strongly emphasize teaching. Roped and bouldering, limited hours on ropes.

Asana, has a pretty nice bouldering gym, with a bit of ropes, slacklines, some other stuff.

Urban Ascent, is primarily roped climbing with other stuff. They have autobelays, some workout equipment, moonboard, treadwall (that things fun, IMO), small bouldering cave.

Climbing, arete, dihedral, into infinity, at our Black Cliffs, just outside of town. Swan Falls bouldering, a short drive away, other bouldering in town, other climbing to drive to.

City of Rocks is the big destination here, but there is a lot more beside that, including some hard enough stuff for pros to play on, and backcountry stuff where it's you and the bears. 

Other than climbing, anything outdoors that doesn't absolutely require an ocean, or can adapt to inland.

Best to you, Helen

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

I knew OLH would respond. Lol. Corn, your sister still climbing?!?!!? It's good to see my disciples still in the game ;) Kelsen tho...sucked into hipsterdom :(

Blake Bolton · · Boise · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Hey Rebecca, I'd be happy to meet up and climb with you when you get up here. I'm always happy to climb with new people.

Tradiban wrote:

I knew OLH would respond. Lol. Corn, your sister still climbing?!?!!? It's good to see my disciples still in the game ;) Kelsen tho...sucked into hipsterdom :(

Who’s this??? Funny how the Madison climbing community comes together on the Northern Utah/Idaho page 

Blake Bolton wrote:

Hey Rebecca, I'd be happy to meet up and climb with you when you get up here. I'm always happy to climb with new people.

Hey Blake - awesome! I will definitely catch up with you once I reside in the city!

Old lady H wrote:

Welcome to Idaho! It's great, but don't tell, eh?

I'll be happy to help you get out, once you are here. We have a nice climbing community, and I don't think you'll have any trouble meeting climbers. As with anywhere, though, the hard part is getting compatible schedules.

Gyms: 

Boise State University has a nice little gym in their rec center, you can get in on a day pass. It's students, if that's an age group you enjoy. They strongly emphasize teaching. Roped and bouldering, limited hours on ropes.

Asana, has a pretty nice bouldering gym, with a bit of ropes, slacklines, some other stuff.

Urban Ascent, is primarily roped climbing with other stuff. They have autobelays, some workout equipment, moonboard, treadwall (that things fun, IMO), small bouldering cave.

Climbing, arete, dihedral, into infinity, at our Black Cliffs, just outside of town. Swan Falls bouldering, a short drive away, other bouldering in town, other climbing to drive to.

City of Rocks is the big destination here, but there is a lot more beside that, including some hard enough stuff for pros to play on, and backcountry stuff where it's you and the bears. 

Other than climbing, anything outdoors that doesn't absolutely require an ocean, or can adapt to inland.

Best to you, Helen

Helen- thanks for the insight! I will definitely catchup with you once in Boise. Happy climbing!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Rebecca Corn wrote:

Moving to Boise, ID, in March 2017 

Are you really moving there last year? (sorry, I couldn't help it)

FrankPS wrote:

She's beating the rush?

Good catch, sir! 

Best, Helen

Trevor · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 830

The "Boise Rock Climbers" Facebook group is a good way to connect with the local climbing community. Welcome to Idaho!

FrankPS wrote:

Haha! Good eye

Hey, I saw your other post about books.

When you get here, the books you'll want for sure are Boise Climbs, by Sandy Epeldi, and City of Rocks, a climbers guide by Dave Bingham. The newest editions of each. Take the Epeldi book to a copy store  and have it spiral bound. Saves your routes blowing away at the cliffs! You can buy these online, but best is to buy them at one of the local shops. My favorite is Backcountry Pursuit, downtown in Boise, but there are others too. Backcountry happens to be across the street from work, so I get sucked in there often.

There are lots of other areas, too, depending on what you like. Some have books (support the guidebooks, if you can!), some have online PDF files, and some are still, delightfully, show up and figure it out.

In the meantime, check out the stuff on MP. Even some of the obscure areas are on there, a bit at least, and you can get a feel for it. Not everything is on there, not even close, areas or routes/problems in areas.

It is appearing to be an early spring, so you will probably be able to get outside in March, depending on what temp your hands freeze at. 

Best, Helen

Old lady H wrote:

Hey, I saw your other post about books.

When you get here, the books you'll want for sure are Boise Climbs, by Sandy Epeldi, and City of Rocks, a climbers guide by Dave Bingham. The newest editions of each. Take the Epeldi book to a copy store  and have it spiral bound. Saves your routes blowing away at the cliffs! You can buy these online, but best is to buy them at one of the local shops. My favorite is Backcountry Pursuit, downtown in Boise, but there are others too. Backcountry happens to be across the street from work, so I get sucked in there often.

There are lots of other areas, too, depending on what you like. Some have books (support the guidebooks, if you can!), some have online PDF files, and some are still, delightfully, show up and figure it out.

In the meantime, check out the stuff on MP. Even some of the obscure areas are on there, a bit at least, and you can get a feel for it. Not everything is on there, not even close, areas or routes/problems in areas.

It is appearing to be an early spring, so you will probably be able to get outside in March, depending on what temp your hands freeze at. 

Best, Helen

Awesome thanks for the info - just bought the City of Rocks book from a MP family member. I am definitely planning to find the Boise Climbs book. Thanks for all your info - moving in the beginning of March so I’m sure we’ll see you on the crag soon enough

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "BOISE, ID - Looking for outdoor sport climbing…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started