Mountain Project Logo

Little Switzerland Guidebook

Original Post
Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

Anyone know of a decent guidebook for little switzerland in alaska? I havent been able to find anything searching google. Thanks.

Gerrit Verbeek · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Joe Puryear's Alaska Climbing guide book is the one you want, as recommended on this page http://danbaileyphoto.com/blog/little-switzerland-alaska-trip-report/
Has route descriptions and topo maps.

And a general, extremely useful source of beta for Alaskan mountains is the Mountaineering Club of Alaska's monthly publication, The Scree. It's not a guidebook itself, but it is 60 years of trip reports which you can search by mountain here:

http://mcapeaks.org/cgi-bin/mcapeakprepage.pl

Edit 2: And if you go climb something cool, submit a trip report to the Scree! MCAScree@gmail.com, 1000 word-articles preferred, please submit photos as separate files (not embedded in a document)

K Weber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 15

Supertopo - Alaska Climbing has 10 pages on Little Switzerland

The Mountaineers Books - Alaska A Climbing Guide  has about 6 pages

The basic info on The Throne, Royal Tower, and Middle Troll.

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

Other than the Puryear guidebook from Supertopo there isn't a published guidebook.

There is some topos hanging around that get passed around from Alaska hardmen to guides.  I would email Clint Helander and ask if he can point you in the right direction.

Edit: I guess there is another guidebook but doesn't sound like it has much more than Puryear's.

climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 95

The Talkeetna ranger station has binders full of routes in the range broken into areas. I'd plan on an extra half day in town to look through them. 

May want to swing by AMS also. Rumor is they have several routes on file they've been known to let climbers look through. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Little Switzerland Guidebook"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started