Mountain Project Logo

New 5.10 High Top??

Original Post
Jplotz · · Cashmere, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,315

Ran across these on Craigslist.  First time I've ever seen these. Look like a close knock off of the LS TC Pro's.  Anyone have experience on these yet?  

Daniel Howe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Most likely a synthetic version?  Just speculating..

Adam bloc · · San Golderino, Calirado · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 2,185

The Five Ten outlet’s closing in California due to the Addidas deal likely resulted in a bunch of prototype or tester models hitting the second-hand market.

Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 505

HOLY CHRIST GIVE ME 10 PAIRS RN!!!

Bug Boy · · In my car · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 81

Those look sweet, I'd assume they would have announced it along with their other new shoes if they were going to hit the market though?

If they are still on Craigslist please post the link. I want them more than anything 

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

Wow they re literally TC pro's with the 5.10 logo slapped on them, is this how 5.10 prototypes??

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle and Eastrevy · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 311

FiveTen has finally figured the optimal product lifecycle - discontinue a shoe before they release it . Saves everyone time and heartbreak.

I assume those are the Altai's they have have been developing for years, and even appeared in the European catalogue a few years ago. Probably wise they didn't bring them market because only EVERY male climber I know owns at least one pair of TC Pros, doubt anyone is interested in a stiff, comfortable, high top...

Kevin N. · · Wenatchee · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 1,286

hey John, 

i have a pair of those (un-used), but likely too big for you at size US11. 

Stealthy wrote:

hey John, 

i have a pair of those (un-used), but likely too big for you at size US11. 

Thank Kevin. But I'm a sz 12, or 45.5 Euro generally. 

Kevin N. · · Wenatchee · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 1,286

ah ok cool. ya, these run small in the 11. me being a 12 street shoe, they are a bit snug for what im looking for. cheers

David N · · Los angeles · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

Stealthy how do they fit? I might be interested if you are looking to get rid of them. 

*completely missed the part where you said they run small in the 11 - is that because you are a 12? Or compared to other 5.10 size 11? 

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
that guy named seb wrote:

Wow they re literally TC pro's with the 5.10 logo slapped on them, is this how 5.10 prototypes??

Oh look Seb not knowing what he's talking about again.

Those are most likely the protos that Kevin J. was working with 5.10 on (his instagram talked about them). It's quite common as you develop new product to start from a competitively close place and work from there, even the big guys (nike) do it. The Altai's were also part of this equation as Doug pointed out above. There is some stuff going on in that 5.10 high top that isn't going on in the TC Pro, but you have to really know shoes to figure it out. 

I believe they were even in one of those online non consumer catalogs at one time. 

Stealthy wrote:

ah ok cool. ya, these run small in the 11. me being a 12 street shoe, they are a bit snug for what im looking for. cheers

How's the sizing compared to the pink?

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718

Those look fresh. Toe looks a little round but that's a nice color. 

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

man  that would be nice if they did bring them to market. i had an old pair of the green altias and they were great.

NorCalNomad wrote:

Oh look Seb not knowing what he's talking about again.

Those are most likely the protos that Kevin J. was working with 5.10 on (his instagram talked about them). It's quite common as you develop new product to start from a competitively close place and work from there, even the big guys (nike) do it. The Altai's were also part of this equation as Doug pointed out above. There is some stuff going on in that 5.10 high top that isn't going on in the TC Pro, but you have to really know shoes to figure it out. 

I believe they were even in one of those online non consumer catalogs at one time. 

The only difference that i can see are reinforced eyelets, slightly different rand near the toe (maybe a slightly less pointy toe?), a different tongue and presumably they are using there new midsole and their own rubber. I'm well aware of how companies prototype and generally it involves taking apart and testing their competitors products and seeing what makes it work and what can be improved on, this isn't that, this is just plain taking a la sportiva design and tweaking it even the stitching and logo placements are shockingly similar.

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
that guy named seb wrote:

The only difference that i can see are reinforced eyelets, slightly different rand near the toe (maybe a slightly less pointy toe?), a different tongue and presumably they are using there new midsole and their own rubber. I'm well aware of how companies prototype and generally it involves taking apart and testing their competitors products and seeing what makes it work and what can be improved on, this isn't that, this is just plain taking a la sportiva design and tweaking it even the stitching and logo placements are shockingly similar.

If I didnt have an NDA I could say what’s different. But I like how you just assume that people who have been making shoes for probably longer than you’ve been alive would just wholesale copy other people’s work. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Well, for one the rubber doesn’t suck...

NorCalNomad wrote:

If I didnt have an NDA I could say what’s different. But I like how you just assume that people who have been making shoes for probably longer than you’ve been alive would just wholesale copy other people’s work. 

Regardless of what is under the hood, it's still essentially a moded tc pro shell, and no shoe company has some magic sauce that they can fit between the outsole and upper that just flat out destroys the competition. Juat because a company has been around for a long time doesn't mean shit, Karrimor have been around since 1946 but since they were acquired by a big multinational they have started ripping off designs from salomon and lowa, from the looks of this it looks like five ten are going the same way.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "New 5.10 High Top??"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started