Mountain Project Logo

Moderation Indication?

Original Post
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Empirically, it seems that more and more posts and entire sub-threads are being moderated into the bit bucket. Some of it makes sense, other posts that were deleted were mild or merely off-topic. 

Whether this has become more draconian in recent months is worthy of a different thread, but what I would like to see is the return of a moderation placeholder that gives a meta-explanation of why. The problem with silent deletion, um, moderation, is that it breaks a lot of threads, makes some replies pointless or unfathomable, and in general wrecks a thread.

When admins/mods delete a post, it should be replaced with "This post deleted because ....."

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

I totally agree. Not only that, it does actual harm. I stated my case why to Nick in an email that has not been responded to (I'm good with that, he's busy). 

I too would like to see the "this post deleted..." box reinstated.

Truly egregious stuff should get a person kicked off. The rest, a flag to get that post deleted, at most.

Best? Keep talking. 

Best, Helen

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

Are we sure the admins have been deleting the posts? Or is it a bug in the new version of the site? It seems I still see rule #1 deletions being labelled as such, and some of the other deletions appear pretty random. Do any admins care to comment and shed some light on the situation?

Andrew Krajnik wrote:

Are we sure the admins have been deleting the posts? Or is it a bug in the new version of the site? It seems I still see rule #1 deletions being labelled as such, and some of the other deletions appear pretty random. Do any admins care to comment and shed some light on the situation?

Andrew, at least one entire thread was deleted. Numerous posts are among the 'disappeared'.

I was party to one set of posts being deleted, but it was a truly sick, violent, rant. That account was quickly shut, the posts deleted to get back to the perfectly innocent original post.

Best, OLH 

John Wilder wrote:

Posts are being deleted? Huh. Hadnt noticed. 

Yep. On more than one occasion I read something that I intended to reply to when I had time, only to return to the thread and not find the post (or in one instance, about 6 posts of a side discussion).

Either they're being removed by admins or there's a serious bug that will render the forums unusable.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

I'm the only person that can delete posts*, which I do in response to the Flag notices that anyone can use.  Sometimes it's obvious (spam, or obviously offensive) and those I quickly delete.  

Sometimes I have to read the forum and try to understand tone and context, and those are trickier.  I sometimes leave up offensive material if the community has risen above the troll and put them in their place.  Really bad posts are marked as "Jerk" posts and you see a message about that post being killed (which also puts that account on thin ice), but sometime I just delete it if I think it was only moderately offensive.

I do not generally respond to the Flag post emails simply because I don't have time to write them, and I can't afford the time to get embroiled in a debate about it.  So I also won't be able to post to the forum the reason why some posts disappear - not only for the time required, but this would also almost certainly derail a topic into a meta-discussion of why a post was deleted, further killing the original topic.

*A small number of posts self-destruct with no human involvement when our code identifies them as blatant spam.  In the future, we may add another staff member that can moderate the forum.

John Wilder wrote:

Posts are being deleted? Huh. Hadnt noticed. 

John, posts have always been subject to censure. But, these are simply disappeared. No anything. Yes, a person can delete their own posts, wreaking havoc on the sense of a thread, but not entire threads with comments posted and quoted. 

That used to only happen in extreme situations. Now, it's if you don't color in the lines like good boys and girls.

Best, OLH

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Nick Wilder wrote:

I'm the only person that can delete posts*, which I do in response to the Flag notices that anyone can use.  Sometimes it's obvious (spam, or obviously offensive) and those I quickly delete.  

Sometimes I have to read the forum and try to understand tone and context, and those are trickier.  I sometimes leave up offensive material if the community has risen above the troll and put them in their place.  Really bad posts are marked as "Jerk" posts and you see a message about that post being killed (which also puts that account on thin ice), but sometime I just delete it if I think it was only moderately offensive.

I do not generally respond to the Flag post emails simply because I don't have time to write them, and I can't afford the time to get embroiled in a debate about it.  So I also won't be able to post to the forum the reason why some posts disappear - not only for the time required, but this would also almost certainly derail a topic into a meta-discussion of why a post was deleted, further killing the original topic.

*A small number of posts self-destruct with no human involvement when our code identifies them as blatant spam.  In the future, we may add another staff member that can moderate the forum.

Keep up the good work, NIck. No need to saddle you with explaining every deletion. Your judgement is good enough for me.

FrankPS wrote:

Keep up the good work, NIck. No need to saddle you with explaining every deletion. Your judgement is good enough for me.

For me, an explanation would be a nice to have, but even just an empty post, perhaps with a "Post deleted" notation - both of which can be automated - would go a long way.

Certainly this would not be necessary with obvious spam.

John Wilder wrote:

If posts are being deleted, it certainly isn't rampant and I imagine that many, if not all, are being self-deleted by the user who suddenly came to their senses.

But we're not talking about a single post here and there. It's more like a group of 3 in this thread and that 9 post side discussion in another thread. I don't know how rampant this may be, but I can think of at least 6 instances in the past month.

An example from a couple of hours ago. Over in the "Is it my phone or the app" thread, s. price and I discussed a bug about detailed photo info appearing on mouseover. Nick fixed it within about 10 minutes. My post and Nick's reply are still there, but the original 3-ish post discussion between me and s. price is gone. In fact s. price posted very recently:

s.price                ·        moments ago        ·                    PS,CO                            · Joined Dec 2010            · Points: 1,348                    

My post pointing out a glitch I noticed was removed. Why is that?

John Wilder wrote:

Oh, please- you're just as deep in the forums as I am and 'color in the lines' is the last phrase I would use to describe the forums on this site. 

If posts are being deleted, it certainly isn't rampant and I imagine that many, if not all, are being self-deleted by the user who suddenly came to their senses.

Alright, John. I'll go public. 

But first, yes, absolutely, thank you Nick. 

The entire thread that was deleted, that I saw, maybe eight posts, was titled "OLH is a troll". What I saw, was MP not taking the bait, and yes, it would undoubtedly have gone somewhere stupid, but it also was headed for hilarious.

I likely would have played along.

It may be that the thread originator wanted it killed, or, perhaps there were posts after what I saw that were truly bad. I don't know, and yes, all of this is Nick's call.

What I expressed to Nick in my email, was my feeling that, by appearing to make me teacher's pet, he did me no favors personally on here.

Further, when someone who is capable of speaking for herself (or himself) has that opportunity decided for them, it is also, however well meaning, patronizing. Standing up for the defenseless, for those who we all should protect, is fine. So is speaking up when someone is being a jerk. That's what friends do.

Disappearing posts and whole threads is counterproductive in the long run. Disappearing "minor" transgressions, yes, that's getting into policing the children. However childish we may be at times, we are still adults.

Nick, very, very respectfully, and with deep gratitude for this thing you have created that I truly enjoy, please reconsider the black marker through our correspondence. 

Besides, it's creepy. I'll say it, if no one else will.

Best, Helen

Walter Edly · · Thomasville NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

Just yesterday after 5 worthwhile positive posts I was not able to post anymore responses, the other 2 never posted to the thread.

Auden Alsop · · Berkeley · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 401

I posted on a thread, so I got MP notifications when someone responded, so I checked the thread and my post and at least one other person's posts had been deleted.

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

the end of the beginning of the end? 

core per rate = the ship is going down 

Mhan the life boats 

start a blog

There are no smiles in d'mUdville

Just Dumb as rox  'round 'cheer

Abandoned User wrote:This topic has been automatically locked after having 1000 replies. You can create a new topic if there is more say.

and so we see

the use of moderation taken automated

deletion, with no person checking 

means the opposite of the goal saught

is achieved.

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Michael Schneider wrote:

Mhan the life boats 

start a blog

There are no smiles in mUdville

Just Dumb as rox' round cheer

Abandoned User wrote:This topic has been automatically locked after having 1000 replies. You can create a new topic if there is more say.

and so we see

is achieved.

Michael, are you off your meds or on some new ones? Admin, please delete this post if it is offensive...... ;)

It's the internet people.....not your real lives...... ;)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Michael Schneider wrote:

Mhan the life boats 

start a blog

There are no smiles in d'mUdville

Just Dumb as rox  'round 'cheer

and so we see

is achieved.

Funny, I was just thinking this same thing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Moderation Indication?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started