Mountain Project Logo

What are good outdoor climbing locations (in the US) around late Jan, early Feb?

Original Post
Shahbaz Chaudhary · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

I've seen a couple of web pages like this:
https://www.rei.com/blog/climb/five-places-rock-climb-winter

Before planning a trip with a friend, I wanted to check with folks here.

My friend and I are not super experienced, we have done two or three outdoor climbs. We would like to climb outdoor over a few days in early to mid Feb. In the gym we have been climbing for about a year and for the past couple of months we have been doing lead climbing. I climb around 5.10+ while my friend can comfortably climb 5.11s. There is a good possibility we will be able to get someone more experienced with us, but not a certainty. We are not opposed to getting a guide for our first day. We are in Chicago and NYC but I expect we will have to go much further South.

I think easier sport routes will be best for us so we can get comfortable climbing outside more (perhaps even starting as low as 5.7 and working up to whatever our limit is). The weather should be bearable, we are looking to get out of Chicago/New York after all :)

Looking forward to hearing your advice.

Blakevan · · Texas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 56

If it's a nice day it would be hard to beat HCR for your request but it's a bit of a drive from CHI and not very close to any airport.

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105903004/horseshoe-canyon-ranch

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

red rock, fly into vegas for cheap

Shahbaz Chaudhary · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0
Blakevan wrote:

If it's a nice day it would be hard to beat HCR for your request but it's a bit of a drive from CHI and not very close to any airport.

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105903004/horseshoe-canyon-ranch

I'm sure we will be flying in to the closest city so driving distance doesn't necessarily matter. Anything in particular which makes HCR more interesting than other locations?

Evan C · · Chatty Fatty · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 218

If you're gonna fly anyway, I'd second red rock in vegas, just get a last minute ticket and check the weather before you go (can't climb there within 3 days of a rain). A guide would probably be a good idea if you've never climbed outdoors before.

Blakevan · · Texas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 56

It has 500ish routes and a lot of them 5.6 - 5.10 but some challenging 11s.  It has a very short approach and the walls/climbs are very easy to find and identify. There is a great circus atmosphere and that time of year you'll have a bunch of people there to have fun with.  It's basically an outdoor gym.

Jacob B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 778

To be honest, best to look outside of the US that time of year. 

According to this article, two of the best in the US are J tree and Red Rocks. Not surprising. I'd consider hopping south of the border and checking out El Potrero Chico. 

Emilio Sosa · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 46
Jacob B wrote:

To be honest, best to look outside of the US that time of year. 

According to this article, two of the best in the US are J tree and Red Rocks. Not surprising. I'd consider hopping south of the border and checking out El Potrero Chico. 

Did you happen to look at the date on this thread, Jacob?

sandrock · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 120

Shelf Road is lovely that time of year

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "What are good outdoor climbing locations (in th…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started