Mountain Project Logo

Best boots for wide feet

Original Post
Tristan Burnham · · La Crescenta, CA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 2,176

I have wider feet and I’ve had a few different boots over the years. But I want to get a new pair soon. So what’s the best one for wife feet? I usually climb around Tahoe and theEastern Sierra so not worried about -20 degree temps. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Tristan Burnham wrote:

I have wider feet and I’ve had a few different boots over the years. But I want to get a new pair soon. So what’s the best one for wife feet? I usually climb around Tahoe and theEastern Sierra so not worried about -20 degree temps. 

I don't have a wife, so I can't help. But Merry Christmas.

David M · · Nashville, TN · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Scarpa is the general recommendation. I have fairly average feet, with one small exception- the ball of my foot is super wide. It would probably make me measure out somewhere in the 2E-4E range. The outside of my foot always rubs and shoes have to get broken in before they get comfortable, typically.

I've got no issues with any of Scarpa's footwear, though. And I always fit the same size- 48 in trail runners, 48 in hikers, 48 in mountaineering boots. Mont Blancs, Phantom Guides, and Phantom 6000's all fit me well.

You might fit Sportiva or another brand just fine, though. I've heard that the 'Sportivas are for narrow feet' thing is played up a bit too much, and some models are actually quite wide. I can't personally attest to the fit of any of them, though.

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 8,978

Look at Mammut.

Blake Bolton · · Boise · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

+1 for Scarpas. I've got wide feet and searched around a lot and ended up with the Mont Blanc Pros and they've been awesome. I've used them for ice climbs and did a 10+ miles hike in 1-2ft of snow yesterday. They've kept my feet warm and dry. They offer enough support for steep ice but enough flexibility for long hikes and approaches. 

I also tried on the la sportiva Nepal Cubes and they fit well. The Nepal last is much wider than a lot of other la sportiva models. I ended choosing the Scarpas though because they were more comfortable and hiked better.

Try on as many as you can, and order multiple sizes if you don't have them locally.

Good luck, it can be a process.

John Vanek · · Gardnerville, NV · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

+2 for Scarpa. LOVE my Mt Blanc Pros and just purchased Phantom Techs. I wear 10.5 shoes, 44 MB Pros, and went to 44.5 in the Phantoms wearing Smartwool Mountaineering socks (the new model which is thinner than the older socks). If you are anywhere near Sacramento I highly recommend Bobcat’s Outdoor. The owner, Greg, is awesome and he has the absolute best selection of boots. 

Clayton Rardon · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 260

+1 for Scarpa, but their new Phantom Tech is MUCH narrower than the old equivalent Phantom Guide... it's really too bad.

But on the bright side, the nice wide Phantom Guide is now on sale most places, I found some in Durango at Backcountry Experience... 

I'm usually a 43 or 43.5 and measure EEE or 4E, I found the La Sportiva G5 to be a pretty solid fit for me.

The new Arc'teryx boot is incredibly narrow and I could barely even get my foot into the liner boot (it doesn't have any kind of zipper or velcro opening)... definitely wait for the next version from them, even if you don't have a narrow foot.

I'd also highly recommend the Koflach Arctis Expe, I climbed in them for years and absolutely loved them. 

Lastly, if you can find Vasque Ice 9000, I demo'd them for a few days and liked them a lot... but didn't need new boots.

Good luck finding something that works for you. Post any good stuff you try?

Gerrit Verbeek · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I vote for Salewas, especially their (no longer made) Guide Gaiter boots. Those things are amazing and have a Walk Mode like AT boots that is friggin magic on long approaches.

Andrew Maver · · Gardiner, NY · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

As someone who historically wore Scarpa boots, I recently gave Mammut's Magic Guide High GTX boots a go. Honestly, they've become one of my favorites boots. They're a leather single boot but have had the same warmth and climbing performance as my Scarpa Phantom Techs and are much, much more durable. As someone who gets out as much as six days a week, durability is definitely something I look for in a boot. They also have a very accommodating fit for my wide, flat feet. Honestly, for a price-point of $450 you can't go wrong with them.

Slogger · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 80

I fit well in the older gen of Scarpa Phantom Guides and the Mammut Magic Guide High GTX, so +1 I guess? I've climbed quite a bit in both and the heel may be a bit narrower in the Mammut's but they very similar.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Best boots for wide feet"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started