Mountain Project Logo

3rd party crampon bags

Original Post
alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 176

Any smaller companies (NOT named BD, Petzl, Camp, Grivel, etc.) make crampon bags? We'd be interested in ordering several for our crampon rentals. The mesh style BD and Petzl (and others) don't fit Grivel G20/22 well. Ideally we would have one non-brand specific, generic bag to apply our company logo and use for all our rental crampon brands/models. 

Anybody have suggestions? 

Thanks and cheers!

Jason

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Alpine Luddites!

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

ragged mountain gear out of north conway has a couple.  They look really nice Im trying to get a couple myself.

Dallen

Josh Kornish · · Whitefish, MT · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 800

I'd be psyched to work with you on a private label bag, Jason.  PM sent!

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

Was clued into this tip by Conrad.

You might want to call Run Out Customs, or Fish for making a more burley version. 
alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 176

Thanks for the recommendations. I hadn't seen Alpine Luddites offering and honestly never heard of Ragged Mountain Gear. Josh and I are discussing opportunities offline as well. 

Cheers as always!

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

Firn Line Designs and Mountain Tools CA also make crampon bags.

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

I would love to see what Josh comes up with.  I use crampons 5 days a week during the winter and have pairs that need new cases.  I have old REI and OR crampon cases that I love and would love to find another case that meets my needs.

Dallen 

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536
Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140

I've used the same crampon bag for 25 years: very light and simple burrito-style design with elastic closure, similar to the Grivel bag (no longer made) shown here:

I'd love to find this style bag again, but no amount of internet searching has revealed anything outside of the UK...

john campbell · · vermont · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Eric and Lucie wrote:

I've used the same crampon bag for 25 years: very light and simple burrito-style design with elastic closure, similar to the Grivel bag (no longer made) shown here:

I'd love to find this style bag again, but no amount of internet searching has revealed anything outside of the UK...

I build these. I hade the same Grivel case as you forever. the Dyneema version is a lot lighter...

https://www.alpineluddites.com/collections/alpine-luddites/products/alpine-luddites-crampon-case

John: nice, but $55 for a crampon bag!?

john campbell · · vermont · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Eric and Lucie wrote:

John: nice, but $55 for a crampon bag!?

I know the Dyneema version is expensive. 25% of the cost is the materials. I can't get around that. the sparkly Vynil version is lined with a layer of ballistics and will probably last forever and it's less expensive. I should offer a ballistics version, lighter and even less expensive. my cases are big enough for screws too. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

I can build a knockoff of that Grivel pouch out of woven plastic (think IKEA bag fabric) for $5. Anybody want one?

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

If you can get your hands on a Wild Things crampon pouch, they're super light & bulletproof.  I love mine. The Mountaineer in Keene Valley, NY had one or two in stock as of the beginning of this winter.

Graham Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 0

i've had my ragged mountain crampon case for going on 15 years.  Still going strong

t.farrell wrote:

Technique Extreme in Chamonix has nice vinyl/mesh crampon bags that are two for 10€ I believe.

Looks just like a BD or Petzl one. Should fit Grivels. I’ll see if I can find mine and post a pic. 

This one looks nice and cheap enough: 

Gotta wait till next Chamonix trip though!

BSB* crampon pouch

(bird seed bag, like the IKEA bag fabric)

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

for the 36 years that I have been climbing I mostly used no crampon bag.   I had some cordura bags from the killington K1 gondola that were nice and pretty colors. they were intended as snowboard condoms to keep them from scratching the windows. I still use one of these to keep the screws from getting lost but not as a crampon bag.. Like  the priority bag though it could take off pretty quick in the wind. 

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110
Gunkiemike wrote:

I can build a knockoff of that Grivel pouch out of woven plastic (think IKEA bag fabric) for $5. Anybody want one?

Yes I want one.

djh860 wrote:

Yes I want one.

I've got one for you, but you're not responding to my PMs. I'll assume that means "no"?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "3rd party crampon bags"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started