Mountain Project Logo

Training with ulnar nerve somethin

Original Post
Jacob M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Hey guys, I slammed my funny bone on a large sloper three days ago while downclimbing and inmediately felt shocks reverberate throughout my arm. I’ve come to the realization that I likely have ulnar nerve impingement or entrapment and was wondering if anyone had advice for a speedy recovery and safe training while recovering. If any training at all is a bad idea also that’d be good to know  

Thanks for any help

Alexander Blum · · Livermore, CA · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 143

Hey,

Try the r/climbharder subreddit. There is at least one PT with a sports medicine focus that posts a lot on there. 

Mark NH · · 03053 · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

I had the same thing happen a while ago. I have a great PT guy that only does deep tissue massage and graston. Helped me quite a bit (and a two year elbow issue - other elbow). Good luck. 

Thanks so much! I’ll be sure to check out the subreddit!

John Lombardi · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 995

Jacob - any luck with this? What worked for you? I have tried some ulnar nerve stretches but they seem to only piss it off...

Jon.R · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 301

Try ulnar nerve glides for temporary relief. Also, laying on a foam roller for 10-15 minutes daily with arms extended out perpendicular to your body, back of hands on floor. If that makes your pinkies tingle, bring your arms closer to your hips. Or you know... actually talk to a medical professional...

Luke Bertelsen · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 4,867

I am sure these types of injuries are fully case by case, but several years back I slammed my left elbow and actually displaced the ulnar nerve from where it naturally sits.  I suffered from numbness and an  inability to grip at full strength before finally seeing my acupuncturist who promptly used dry needling to relocate the nerve.  It did not feel good at all, but the symptoms went away literally within hours.

Jon.R wrote: Try ulnar nerve glides for temporary relief. Also, laying on a foam roller for 10-15 minutes daily with arms extended out perpendicular to your body, back of hands on floor. If that makes your pinkies tingle, bring your arms closer to your hips. Or you know... actually talk to a medical professional...

Hey Jon - I have talked to medical professionals. I have had physical therapy for it with some success, I have had two separate neurological tests (I forget the name but it's where they are looking for neuropathy) done, and spoken to two separate doctors. I am asking for anecdotal remedies. The ulnar nerve glides I have tried multiple times and they were not helpful. The foam roller is something that I forgot to incorporate - I've tried before but stopped doing it for some reason. Thank you for this recommendation, but I have definitely spent a lot more time talking to PTs and doctors then looking on the internet for solutions. I was hoping to use this thread to see if the OP had any success with their ulnar nerve symptoms or any recommendations. 

Luke Bertelsen wrote: I am sure these types of injuries are fully case by case, but several years back I slammed my left elbow and actually displaced the ulnar nerve from where it naturally sits.  I suffered from numbness and an  inability to grip at full strength before finally seeing my acupuncturist who promptly used dry needling to relocate the nerve.  It did not feel good at all, but the symptoms went away literally within hours.

Hi Luke - that is really interesting. My symptoms did sort of appear rapidly, and my ulnar nerve could be displaced. How did the acupuncturist diagnosis that the nerve needed to be relocated? I ask since my next step here, assuming my insurance can cover it, is to get a MRI to maybe better pinpoint what is going on.

Luke Bertelsen · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 4,867
John L wrote:

Hi Luke - that is really interesting. My symptoms did sort of appear rapidly, and my ulnar nerve could be displaced. How did the acupuncturist diagnosis that the nerve needed to be relocated? I ask since my next step here, assuming my insurance can cover it, is to get a MRI to maybe better pinpoint what is going on.

I believe it is something he had dealt with before with another client.  The chronic numbness that radiated along the inside of my arm all the way through my ring and pinky finger suggested an impingement so he did some palpating and we kind of just went for it.  It worked, and I was thankful.

Hey John,

I agree with Jon, glides helped me a ton. Pretty sure that was the main thing I did 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Training with ulnar nerve somethin "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started