Mountain Project Logo

Double Portaledge: Fish vs Runout Customs

Original Post
Yannick Gingras · · On the road, mostly Southwest · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 302

Booth ledge are very light with very similar designs.  Has anyone tried both and would be able to help me figure out if one is actually better than the others? 

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981

Tried both. Runout customs is probably the best ledge maker out there right now. Even my Baffin double from runout is light, bombproof, and just works.  Fish ledges are great but I feel like my Runout Customs ledge is both burlier and less prone to getting all bendy if a noob is working to set it up for you. The Runout can also pack down even smaller than the Fish depending upon which model of double you're getting. 

Stan McKnight · · AZ · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 261

I haven't used the fish but I can second that the runout double is just about perfect! It's light, easy and intuitive to set up, roomy for two people to lounge around at the end of a day on the wall, and even with the longer version once broken down you can stuff it in a metolius el cap sized haul bag. I would highly recommend. Just be aware you need to give it about ten weeks after you order to receive it. 

Ryan Arnold · · SLC · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 751

Can't speak regarding the Fish ledges.  I just bought a Runout double and loved the attentive customer service Luke provided.  Ledge seems awesome; I was able to set it up in my basement in 6 minutes on my 3rd try.  Planning to take it to Zion next month and will give another update then.
schoenwetter kraxler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0

How does the Runout double compare with the new D4 ledge? Has anyone tried both and has an opinion to offer?

schoenwetter kraxler wrote:

With that caveat out of the way, the D4 ledges are very nice, light, and fall under John's amazing attention to detail and innovation. I would wholeheartedly support any partner's decision to go with a D4. For me though, since I haven't seen the updated D4 ledges in real life and I have seen the runout custom ledges in real life, I'd default to the runout customs ledges for now. 

Yannick Gingras · · On the road, mostly Southwest · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 302

That's many warm testimonials for the Runout Customs.  Thank you for sharing your experiences, everyone.  I find it very helpful. 

Cireously · · Vancouver, WA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 0

+1 for Runout Customs and Luke. I managed to get one of his early Protos that is 3 piece with Dyneema bed.  The whole thing in it's haul bag is less that 14lbs and it fits inside of a Metolius Quarter Dome that can be checked as normal luggage. Since it fits in my haulbag there is way less cluster when hauling too.  Simple and easy for one person to set up at a hanging belay, light, strong and MADE IN THE USA. 

FYI both Runout customs and D4 are coming out with "mid-sized" 1.5 person ledges (runout using a triangle and D4 using a trapezoid shape) that will be great for saving space and weight (especially for skinny short guys like me that mostly climbs with other small partners)

But Runout Customs version probably won't be around for a year or so and the D4 will start becoming available midyear. 

Randy Sandoval · · Elk Grove · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

I think thee E ticket attraction is going to be a double wide,  Fish one night stand. Revolutionary.

Randy Sandoval wrote:

I think thee E ticket attraction is going to be a double wide,  Fish one night stand. Revolutionary.

Did that make sense when you typed it? because i have no idea what you're talking about. 

Yes. The one night stand is a short ledge with a sack that supports your feet. Now make it double wide and have an extra sack on the apposing end. Short package that sleeps 2.

Fish.Jump on this. You had the vision.now make me a doublewide with leg bags. 22" tall packed ledge. Easy layout.

alpinist 47 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

runout customs are high quality.....luke is worth supporting....but don't count Duecey out yet, he's done it before!

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

I have a Fish single that I love. If the double is anything close its good!  had and abused my single for a long time still holding up and works great! from walls to sleeping on it hanging from a tree while camping.. I am a fan of Fish! 

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

Duce’s ledge is going to be awesome. 

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420
Randy Sandoval wrote:

Yes. The one night stand is a short ledge with a sack that supports your feet. Now make it double wide and have an extra sack on the apposing end. Short package that sleeps 2.

Oh, god! I think this is such a crappy idea!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Double Portaledge: Fish vs Runout Customs"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started