Mountain Project Logo

Hangboarding, pain in the neck...

Original Post
Nate Fye · · punxsutawney pa · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 10

I have had a handboard for a year now and just started putting it to use since the new year. After about 3 weeks of doing the beginner repeater workout I found on seekingexposure.com my scalene muscle in my neck is killing me! Wondering if this is common to new hangboarders or if this is likely unrelated to the workout and should I continue using the hangboard or wait for it to heal...?

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

I'm not sure what your setup is, but I've done hangboarding in a bunch of different gyms with different setups, and I usually get the neck pain when I have my phone on top of the hangboard and am looking up at it (to see my timing app). When I move the phone to the ground or to eye level, the neck pain goes away. If you're using a phone to time your repeaters, you may want to move it around and see if that fixes the problem. If you can hang it at eye level that's probably ideal.

Bolting Karen · · La Sal, UT · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 56

I agree with David on that one. Also would be worth recording yourself from the side and back to see if it’s a correctable posture issue. I have to really concentrate on my posture during the late end of repeaters or I get a sore neck, caused by improper shoulder position. 

Nate Fye · · punxsutawney pa · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 10

Thanks guys!, I am using the beastmaker timer app, so I just start it and put my phone on the mat and generally look out the window straight in front of me while hanging. I am pulling my shoulder blades down and together.. if that makes sense. With slight bend in my elbows

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260

I've had similar problems... your head position (as David mention) might be wrong, and you may also be using muscles you don't really need. Sometimes this happens with a new exercise - you're actually contracting extra muscles. Try to pay attention next time, see if you're not maintaining extra tension in your neck area. Try to relax - breathing a bit deeper and reguarlly migth help, too

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Hangboarding, pain in the neck..."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started