Mountain Project Logo

climbing and falling...whats the deal??

Original Post
who am i · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Hi,

I have been bouldering for a little while and i'm starting to do some roped climbing. I am going to try some TR on some 1 pitch outside routes and im curious if every time i fall i need to start again or it wont actually be counted as me climbing. I know this sounds very nooby but the last thing i want is to be untruthful about my climbing.

J Squared · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

what's that motto again?  "Climb like everyone is watching" ??   

climbing is a lie.   there is no jug. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

You're just starting out - it doesn't matter one bit at this point. Just be truthful how you did the route, learn as much as you can, and have fun.

Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 96

Agreed with Marc801 C, just have fun. Maybe when you start leading routes you will care about "on-sighting" a route or "flashing" a route (google them) but for now really shouldn't matter. Also try and go with someone experienced and they should be able to guide you (or take a class/course so you're safe). Depending on the crag setting up a TR isn't always that straight forward or easy.

who am i · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0
Gold Plated Rocket Pony wrote:

Agreed with Marc801 C, just have fun. Maybe when you start leading routes you will care about "on-sighting" a route or "flashing" a route (google them) but for now really shouldn't matter. Also try and go with someone experienced and they should be able to guide you (or take a class/course so you're safe). Depending on the crag setting up a TR isn't always that straight forward or easy.

Sounds great, and I appreciate the help. Because i do boulder I am able to do some reasonably hard climbs on top rope which I know i count for as much. But basically I recently did a 5.13a but I fell a few times whilst trying to get up it. I just don't know if that counts as a successful climb or not. would not want to assume anything. again thanks so much for assistance!!

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Top rope climbing is different than lead climbing. If a climb is bolted for sport and you only top rope it than you didn't climb it. If you fall while climbing it on lead or top rope you didn't climb it. Doesn't mean you are on the same level as someone who can't climb it even after falling multi times but isn't the same as a clean send.

Nick Thomas · · Duluth, MN · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 35

Worst troll ever?

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

How did you get the rope to the anchors of the 13a?

Russ Keane wrote:

How did you get the rope to the anchors of the 13a?

Walk around to the top of the wall and clip into them... or climb the 5.3 next to it and traverse over at the top!

Chris Little · · Albuquerque N.M. · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Do what you want. Have fun. You're going to have at least 1 witness-your belayer. If somebody asks what happened, tell them. If they don't like it, it's their problem.

Trolls! The only way MP stays alive.  

Looks they already made a movie about your issue. Boulders going rope climbing.  https://www.grippedthemovie.com

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194
who am i wrote:

Hi,

I have been bouldering for a little while and i'm starting to do some roped climbing. I am going to try some TR on some 1 pitch outside routes and im curious if every time i fall i need to start again or it wont actually be counted as me climbing. I know this sounds very nooby but the last thing i want is to be untruthful about my climbing.

Who is keeping score?

Amd if you are keeping score, then nothing you do on top rope counts anyway, as it is all just practicing for leading.  If you want to consider (in your own mind) that you 'climbed' the route, just make sure you actually do all the moves.  It is very easy to come off and then put yourself in the body position that is more advantageous.  So either back off a couple of moves or get your hands, feet and body in the same position as when you fell off.  Also, have a wee bit of slack in the system.  Not a lot, just make sure that the belayer understands not to have tension on the rope while you are climbing.  that is cheating (again, if you are keeping score, because no one else is about if you TR'ed something or not).

Climbing clean from the bottom up, no falls, no tension on the rope, is the best way to do the route, but if you need to rest on the rope, or fall several times, then you are just projecting the route.  Just don't be a top rope tough guy.

https://youtu.be/bsAiOYXC-k0

Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 45
who am i wrote:

Sounds great, and I appreciate the help. Because i do boulder I am able to do some reasonably hard climbs on top rope which I know i count for as much. But basically I recently did a 5.13a but I fell a few times whilst trying to get up it. I just don't know if that counts as a successful climb or not. would not want to assume anything. again thanks so much for assistance!!

If I fall a few times I say "I did all the moves" but I dont consider it a send, or that I have been able to climb that grade unless I dont fall. I think most people follow that convention. 

Igor Chained · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 110

They see me trollin', they hatin'....

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Falling is a move.

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

impressive to do list

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Downwards dyno

Gravitational retreat.

Kamikaze style

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "climbing and falling...whats the deal??"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started