Mountain Project Logo

Cuba January 2-16

Original Post
Lana Little · · Las Vegas · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 25

Anybody wants go to Cuba? I'll be there January 2-16

Gwen Abbott Asmussen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

We're thinking of going 14-21.   Any beta on how to get there?  I've found some stuff saying you tell them you are there to help the cuban people or something like that....

Grant Kendrick 1 · · Northampton, Massachusetts · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

Hey Lana--I'll be in Cuba with my wife and daughter the 2nd-13th, planning to climb in Vinales January 6-11th.  Daughter climbs, wife doesn't; you're welcome to join us climbing any of those days. We've never been before, so will be figuring it out as we go!

Grant  

Gregory Farlow · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2017 · Points: 40
Lana Little wrote:

Lana Little wrote:

I'll be there the 14th-17th and need a partner! Hit me up on here or email (gsfarlow@gmail.com) and we could coordinate gear. Look forward to hearing back!

Greg

Gwen Abbott Asmussen wrote:

We're thinking of going 14-21.   Any beta on how to get there?  I've found some stuff saying you tell them you are there to help the cuban people or something like that....

Hi Gwen, 

Where will you be climbing? I'm looking for partners :) I will be there the 14-17th of Jan.

-Greg

David Lakes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Will you guys tell me about how your experience with immigration went? I'm considering going in March. Also, is there a way to post a new thread on here? I'm kind of a gumby on here ( ._.)

Hey Greg we will be in Viñales 16-19. I just got the book today and I’m super excited!  I’m not sure where we’re going to climb yet. I’m like a 5:10 climber and my husband is like and 11-12 climber

Hey Gwen, 

Which book did you get? Also for the group, getting there is super easy. I’m probably taking a bus from my hostel in Havana. Are y’all bringing rope? Maybe we could meet up the 16th? I’m also a 5.10 climber on lead but could follow most 11s. Feel free to hit me up via cell too 9523562353. 

-Greg 

Hey Greg, Sorry I just saw this.  I ordered the Climbing Cuba book off of the cuba climbing.com website.  It comes from canada but it got here super quick.  I also ordered the PDF version in case the book didn't get here in time.  

Candace Gossen · · Bisbee, Az · Joined May 2017 · Points: 10

What's the status of climbing in Cuba? I see posts as recent as November 2017 with everything still being illegal! 

Especially if you have a guidebook written from any place non-cuba. 

I saw your post here about going, curious how things are down there!

Thanks

Candace

Grant Kendrick 1 · · Northampton, Massachusetts · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

Just returned from climbing in Vinales and visiting a few other places in Cuba, had a wonderful time, really a great country with nice people and awesome climbing! Very easy getting there and back, booked all our lodgings on Air B & B and then used our hosts to give advice on how to get from place to place, mostly in collectivos, shared cabs.  Climbing may be illegal in Vinales, but we never saw a ranger or signs or anything, and there were a bunch of other climbers and it was all very relaxed.  Lots of good information on Cuba Climbing website, we made a donation and brought some bolts and shoes which probably adds legitimacy if the US government ever demands proof of our meeting the criterion for the license catagory we traveled under, "Support of the  Cuban People"

Happy to answer any questions from others thinking of going, we had a great time and plan to go again in the future!

Dylan Wall · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

Anyone want climb Cuba March 2-12

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "Cuba January 2-16"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started