Mountain Project Logo

What to buy?

Original Post
BJ Null · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 350

OK guys, I have $100 to spend on some new gear. 

I have double BD cams from #0.50- #3.   I have one #4 BD cam.  I also have a good mixture of cams less than 0.50 (+/- 6 cams)

Plenty of nuts, hexes, biners, straps, nut tools,  quickdraws. 

Any recommendations on what to use my money on?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Gas for more climbing trips.

Ancent · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 34

Depends what you climb. A #5 is an obvious missing piece. With a 1 #4 and 1 #5 you can be pretty set to climb anything that gets wide for a period without giving up pro. You won't need it all the time, but when you do, it feels nice to have one.

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

Booze, bullets & tobacco...

frank minunni · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2011 · Points: 95

How about dinner for yourself and a friend?

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Sounds like a pretty decent rack. I would guess that as you get more and more mileage and experience, you will want to make changes at some point to your rack. I would put some of that $100 into gear savings for down the road when you decide that you want or need new or different gear. This savings fund could also potentially be used for replacing gear you had to bail off of.

The rest of it I would spend on things that allow you to do more and/or better climbing. This could mean money for gas or flights, hotels or campground fees, food, etc. Depending on how flexible your job is, it could also be saved to fund more time off to climb. 

Zach Parsons · · Centennial, CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 95

Tibloc, pulley, knife, headlamp... self rescue stuff.

Newfangled belay device?

Walt Barker · · Western NC · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 425

Tri-cams, I have found the combo of a Tibloc and and Hollowbloc to be indispensable 

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260
eli poss wrote:

Sounds like a pretty decent rack. I would guess that as you get more and more mileage and experience, you will want to make changes at some point to your rack. I would put some of that $100 into gear savings for down the road when you decide that you want or need new or different gear. This savings fund could also potentially be used for replacing gear you had to bail off of.

The rest of it I would spend on things that allow you to do more and/or better climbing. This could mean money for gas or flights, hotels or campground fees, food, etc. Depending on how flexible your job is, it could also be saved to fund more time off to climb. 

I would second that - if you're asking yourself the question, it's not really all that essential it seems to me.

So you may just end up buying something that will be somewhat useful, but realize in the middle of the summer that what you would really have wanted was actually something else...

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

Assuming your double BD’s are C4’s, I would add one or two flexible stem cams in the .5-1 range.  Or double up your .3-.4 cams.

Mike Womack · · Orcutt, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 2,015

offset cams!  I use my .3/.4 and .4/.5 all of the time!

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

Helmet? Sterling Hollow Block for Prusik?

Glass Tupperware · · Atlanta · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 45

You could start picking up Totems. I've been surprised how much more confidence they inspire than traditional cams

Rob WardenSpaceLizard · · las Vegans, the cosmic void · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 130

Dmm aluminum offsets

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Pick up some tri-cams.   You'll find them very useful, not to mention fun and charming.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194
dindolino32 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 25

Totems

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Either get some totems or ditch the quickdraws for alpine draws. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "What to buy?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.