Mountain Project Logo

Having a problem with an admin (I think)

Original Post
Alex McKenzie · · Nevada city, CA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 2,664

Today, I noticed that one of my areas and its sub-area was gone, along with all the pictures. Also, a picture I added to another area was missing. Not too long ago, I made some bad decisions on this site which ended up with some of my submissions getting deleted for a good reason. The person who deleted it was an admin. He gave me a list of rules to follow for Mountain Project. 

From there, I have been trying to follow these rules. And I think I haven't broken one since then. But then, one of my areas vanished! My original guess was that that same admin deleted it, but I had no idea why. I didn't break any of the rules. The area was called Comic Wall and it was a bouldering spot that I hadn't developed any problems on yet. If anyone knows why this could've been removed, I would like to know.

Since then, I found out what happened. There is no need to comment further.

Rules:

- content needs to be specific enough that one can locate the area with the given directions. Vague descriptions aren't particularly helpful.

did that as well as I could
- assuming "first ascents" and giving names to problems that have literally been climbed for decades is considered poor form.

Didn't put any routes yet

- certain areas are "sensitive" in terms of access and should not be posted on the Internet.

The area is on public climbing land
- it is generally considered poor form to post routes/problems that you have not personally climbed.

- it is generally considered poor form to post ratings of routes/problems you have not personally climbed.

chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6

my guess is that route and area development is usually done by people with a lot of experience both in years of climbing and number of areas climbed. while it's awesome that your stoke is high for contributing to MP, i think that it's best to keep personal logs of the areas and problems that you work on, and then once you have more time and areas under your belt, you will be better equipped to understand how to best contribute new areas.

keep up the stoke, climb as much as you can, and be patient. i'm relatively new as well, and patience has definitely been hard for me since i also get pretty excited about learning new stuff and wanting to give back.

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86

Possibly email an admin before you post 

Doug Hemken · · Madison, WI · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 13,678

Contact the admins for your area.  And enjoy exploring.

Doug Hemken wrote:

Contact the admins for your area.  And enjoy exploring.

I actually contacted the admin I mentioned, but I have noticed that the admins in my area don't answer emails all the time, so I made this forum as well.

Chris Blatchley wrote:

my guess is that route and area development is usually done by people with a lot of experience both in years of climbing and number of areas climbed. while it's awesome that your stoke is high for contributing to MP, i think that it's best to keep personal logs of the areas and problems that you work on, and then once you have more time and areas under your belt, you will be better equipped to understand how to best contribute new areas.

keep up the stoke, climb as much as you can, and be patient. i'm relatively new as well, and patience has definitely been hard for me since i also get pretty excited about learning new stuff and wanting to give back.

That's actually a very good idea! I should do that.

Andrew Poet · · Central AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 161
Alex McKenzie wrote:

That's actually a very good idea! I should do that.

This may be the most civil interaction/discussion I have ever witnessed on MP.

Robert Abbott · · south lake tahoe · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 111

Sounds like you added an area to MP without climbing an of the routes...

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

You answered your own question.

It's the part about not having posted or done any routes yet. You posted what amounts to a placeholder plus some pictures. That doesn't really count as content. There used to be (probably still are) hundreds of those blank pages put forth with the best of intentions. It's a waste and serves to confuse people searching the nearby areas until such time that you actually have routes.

So the initial suggestion is correct. Make a log and post up when you've got enough to add.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Alex McKenzie wrote:

Today, I noticed that one of my areas and its sub-area was gone, along with all the pictures. Also, a picture I added to another area was missing. Not too long ago, I made some bad decisions on this site which ended up with some of my submissions getting deleted for a good reason. The person who deleted it was an admin. He gave me a list of rules to follow for Mountain Project. 

From there, I have been trying to follow these rules. And I think I haven't broken one since then. But then, one of my areas vanished! My guess is that that same admin deleted it, but I have no idea why. I didn't break any of the rules. The area was called Comic Wall and it was a bouldering spot that I hadn't developed any problems on yet. If anyone knows why this could've been removed, I would like to know. 

Rules:

- content needs to be specific enough that one can locate the area with the given directions. Vague descriptions aren't particularly helpful.

did that as well as I could
- assuming "first ascents" and giving names to problems that have literally been climbed for decades is considered poor form.

- certain areas are "sensitive" in terms of access and should not be posted on the Internet.

The area is on public climbing land
- it is generally considered poor form to post routes/problems that you have not personally climbed.

- it is generally considered poor form to post ratings of routes/problems you have not personally climbed.

If you see this, admin who deleted my stuff before, I would like to know why you did it again (if you actually did it). And don't delete this forum post. Please. I will delete it when I get an answer.

Alex, you have violated the aribritary rule, rule. 

I got an answer. I found out that the person who deleted my stuff wasn't who I thought :O

But I can't figure out how to delete a forum :(

Alan Emery · · Lebanon, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 239

Just don't reply ... it will soon fade away into the sunset!

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70
Alex McKenzie wrote:

I got an answer. I found out that the person who deleted my stuff wasn't who I thought :O

But I can't figure out how to delete a forum :(

Never delete a forum or a comment. Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Only cowards delete. (not an attack on you, just reference to MP forums in general)

Threads fade faster than a fart in the wind. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

Never delete a forum or a comment. Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Only cowards delete. (not an attack on you, just reference to MP forums in general)

Threads fade faster than a fart in the wind. 

+1000

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Help
Post a Reply to "Having a problem with an admin (I think)"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started