Mountain Project Logo

is RRG in mid April a good destination to fly to?

Original Post
Sergey Shelukhin · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 14

I really want to go to RRG some day; I was considering this year, but we can only do it on school break (2nd week of April).

Mountain project however says there are 12 rainy days in April... So I was wondering, if we come for 7-8 days how likely it is that it will be rainy and terrible the whole time? We are in Seattle so it's quite a track. Are those real rainy days like here in PNW, or one random thunderstorm that blows over so you can climb most of the day?  If we do fly in and the weather is terrible, is there a good place with better weather to drive to (with 7-8 days to spend, a long drive might be acceptable)? Or should I just give up and go to Smith Rock or ORG (not as exciting as I've been to both a few times).

I climb low 11s sport around here and was planning to train (with a lot on overhangs ;)) before I come.

Mike Byrnes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

If you’re climbing mid to upper 11s theres a lot of stuff that’s climbable mid thunderstorm at the Red. Drive-by Crag, the Solarium, Bronaugh Wall, and the Zoo definitely come to mind for some stuff in that grade range that quite literally will never see a drop of rain. That being said it’s always nice to have good weather, but rain doesn’t completely ruin your time in the Red cus of how steep it is. 

Sergey Shelukhin · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 14

I could probably project mid-upper 11s, but I cannot do it every day and my wife would get bored. Esp. given that I hear grades there are stiffer than in the West.

So, what if I don't climb upper 11s? :)

Sean Peter · · IL · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 105

There are low 11s that are quite steep too.  And there's certainly some steep stuff that is way soft in grade as well. Check out https://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuide/index.php and you can search walls by their ability to stay dry in the rain. 

No it probably wouldn't rain the whole time. But it might. It might snow.  It might be 80 and super humid. (actually it will always be super humid)  Often it might be a 3 or 4 day window of rain- then some dry days.  But honestly there's no answer that would be reliable from year to year.  Even if the forecast says 75% all weekend long, you might show up and have nothing but sunshine.  That being said- yeah, it might rain for almost half of your time there.  

I'm about 7 hrs away- and I find that forecasts there often are about the same as here.  In fact- if it's a big system of rain coming through the midwest in general - there will be some percentages of rain listed from Atlanta all the way up to Minnesota. (SO if it's a big lingering system- bailout places within 5hrs drive may very well not exist).  Of course there are smaller local weather systems that happen- but when you have a free weekend to go climbing, there's usually a big system that ruins everything in a 12hr drive radius :)  

Anyhow- that might mean you get 3 or 4 good days?  Would it be better to book a flight on a 4 day weekend in the fall if your school has a long weekend in the fall? Then you'd probably get 3 or 4 good days as well...   It's a gamble no matter what- but there are definitely good days to be had in April. If you wanna get there in the next few years and spring is the only option- then it's just the chance you'd have to take.  Once you go-  you'll probably go back again.....

pat a · · ann arbor, mi · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0
Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

The east doesn't have "rainy seasons" like you are used to, in Seattle.  Generally speaking, early April in the southeast is wonderful.

Marc Yamamoto · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 20

I did not think the grades at the RRG were that much different from the west coast sport grading.  

Troy S · · Waltham, MA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 55

I would go for it. As others have mentioned, you can get a string of bad weather any time of year. New River Gorge is about a 4 hour drive and Chattanooga is about the same. 

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

I would go for it. The most likely scenario is that you will have 2-3 rainy days out of your 7-8 days, and you will maybe climb one of those rainy days, and take two as your rest days. But there are no guarantees at the Red at any time.

Evan C · · Chatty Fatty · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 218

We got rained out pretty much the whole week while I was there in April a couple years ago. We were just barely pushing into soft elevens in Colorado at that point and weren't really ready for the power endurance that you need at the red....it was a rough week.

The rain lasted most of the day all day while we were there, and on the days it didn't rain the water continued to seep / flow down a lot of the routes which really limited what we were able to get on. There are plenty of walls that overhang enough you'd be able to post up under an area and get some climbing in, but everyone else will be doing the same thing so you might need to swap / share routes with other parties. 

That being said, I'd probably go back in spring again -- the climbing is pretty awesome :)

Mike Byrnes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

^^^ that’s what you need to worry about. If you’re not ready to jug blast up the steep stuff, you won’t have a good time in the rain. That being said, if you are, the rain isn’t even a factor in the Red. Yeah rain might make your approach a little less pleasant, but it never ruins a day of climbing.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "is RRG in mid April a good destination to fly to?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started