Mountain Project Logo

Rules of Chopping

Original Post
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

What are the rules?

For example, can you chop bolts if you haven't sent yet but know the bolts are bogus? Asking for a friend :)

Barry M · · WV · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I’m sure there are people in “your friends” area that...

1. Know what to do without posting on the internet

2. Have the knowledge to deal with the situation 

3. Are equipped to deal with the bad bolts. 

So if I where your friend and I was not sure what group handled rebolting lines I’d start with figuring that out. Also if you climb at an area pretty much every place has somewhere you can donate money towards bolts and anchors. Kick in some every now and then and let the men and women that are good at it deal with it. You could also volunteer to help them with trail work and rebolting. 

verticon · · Europe · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 25

You don't need rules to chop bolts, you only need a good reason. And Mallory already gave you the best reason: “Because it's there”

Barry M wrote:

I’m sure there are people in “your friends” area that...

1. Know what to do without posting on the internet

2. Have the knowledge to deal with the situation 

3. Are equipped to deal with the bad bolts. 

So if I where your friend and I was not sure what group handled rebolting lines I’d start with figuring that out. Also if you climb at an area pretty much every place has somewhere you can donate money towards bolts and anchors. Kick in some every now and then and let the men and women that are good at it deal with it. You could also volunteer to help them with trail work and rebolting. 

You aren't getting the question. My friend says he's gonna chop some bolts that aren't from the FA but he hasn't even sent the route yet.

Jon Welchans · · Longmont Colorado · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 75

What is the point of trying to enforce one's ideals and morals on others? 

Especially in something that is as individual as climbing? 

What is the point?

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Chop all bolts that have a gear placement within 3ft of them.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

Chop and hide, if you dont follow it with a cowardly act you probably didnt do it.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

What makes a bolt "bogus"?

Personally, I'd just follow local aesthetics, which nobody can tell you here.

If you feel the need to hide your actions, i.e. "asking for a friend" on the internet so nobody knows it was you, you're probably acting selfishly knowing that your actions will affect other people.

Three questions you can ask yourself:

1. Does this need to be done?
  2. Does it need to be done now?
  3. Does it need to be done by me?

That said, none of what I've said in this post is intended as telling you what you should or should not do. It's worth considering what I've brought up because your actions have consequences, but ultimately there's no authority on what's right and wrong, certainly not in climbing. "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

As long as you rap in and shit at the base after chopping it's all good.

Err... I mean your friend.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

What are the rules?

For example, can you chop bolts if you haven't sent yet but know the bolts are bogus? Asking for a friend :)

First rule - don't ask on the Internet

peter heekin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 141

Try getting a life

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

Tradbone, you are a master-troller...........these people take your bait every time............... ;)

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1
John Barritt wrote:

Tradbone, you are a master-troller...........these people take your bait every time............... ;)

Sometimes people actually are asking for a friend. So, consensus seems to be that chopping without sending is a-ok. Fair enough, I disagree, gotta earn that shit.

Let me put it this way. Would you feel right chopping bolts on a route that you didn't climb? 

Igor Chained · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 110

As long as you chop 'em from a stance.

Then you can call it retro-chopping and feel good about yourself.

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54
ViperScale . wrote:

In all seriousness though, I think you should send it to chop it. If you're not willing to take the risk without the bolts you have no moral ground to impose it on others.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
kendallt wrote:

Make sure to leave any bolts that are placed in between 6ft 'runouts'.

In all seriousness though, I think you should send it to chop it. If you're not willing to take the risk without the bolts you have no moral ground to impose it on others.

You have no moral grounds to impose your aesthetics on others, regardless of whether you've climbed it. I'm not sure what your basis for believing otherwise is.

(Likewise, there's no moral grounds to say you shouldn't impose your aesthetics either. But there are cost and community considerations)

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407
Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

the first rule for the chopping, is you do not speak of this chopping

second rule for chopping, you do not speak on this chopping

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

pretty simple  actually.  If you chop someone elses route that is  what your legacy will be regardless of your other climbing accomplishments. If you have not sent the route sans bolts you are an even bigger piece of shit..... 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Rules of Chopping"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started