Mountain Project Logo

Postable wind turbine

Original Post
Ulle Roland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0
20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

Ridiculous, just bring a $20 battery pack and charge it at home or bring a solar panel. I dont even understand why people need charging units for most applications anyway. Do people go on muilti-day remote adventures to have prolonged Angry Bird deathmatches on their iPhones?

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

That’s...interesting.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
20 kN wrote:

Ridiculous, just bring a $20 battery pack and charge it at home or bring a solar panel. I dont even understand why people need charging units for most applications anyway. Do people go on muilti-day remote adventures to have prolonged Angry Bird deathmatches on their iPhones?

Playing Angry Birds is, of course, ridiculous, but electrical power can also be used to recharge satellite phones,satellite communicators, headlamps, two way  radios, smartphones for GPS navigation, batteries for cameras,  just to name a few not very creative ways of killing electrons.

Article mentions that this turbine is 2lb, that would purchase a lot of power bricks. Perhaps an adventurer would have to carefully consider weight and functionality trade offs when making their choice. Perhaps length of planned trip and number of available sherpas would be a factor helping to make that decision.

20 kN wrote or bring a solar panel. 

I guess Finnish people have a better concept of "Arctic Circle" and "Polar Night" than someone living in Hawaii  

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Seeing that you can buy a wind generator kit from Kohl's for $35 today, why would you need to fund an Indigogo project to develop a wind turbine that you put on a cable? This is niche market within a niche.

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 8,978

Very Cool!  And at least it was called a "Turbine" and not a "Windmill"  (Trump quote).

alan.goldbetter · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 1

Having been testing this product, I just wanted to give my .02

First off, I do feel this product has a use. Yes, it is a niche market. No, it is not for everyone. Many people who are out on shorter trips will be just fine with a lighter wetight battery backup. 

But, on current day expeditions, almost without exception people are bring electronic and require a way to get them powered. Camera batteries, gps devices, cell phones with map/camera/music apps, satellite messaging devices, and emergency beacons are all current companions on modern expeditions. No, we are not as hardy as the expeditions of yesteryear, but this is the current reality. Solar panels have been the go-to in answering this need for sometime now, but I believe they have their flaws.

On my last two major expeditions (both 2+ weeks in the backcountry) I have taken solar panels an have had my fair share of issues with them. First, when it is sunny, you want to be out climbing (not charging your devices) and when the weather is bad, you are in camp; a perfect time to recharge your devices and listen to music/edit photos. Also,the GoalZero solar panel I took last time (for group use) weighed almost exactly the same as the WindPal. The WindPal is proving far more easier to pack and takes up less space. Lastly, I found the solar panel to be quite fragile, where as this seems to be more durable. 

I am very much looking forward to taking this with me on my next expediton, a 3 week trip to Torres Del Paine. I feel this product is quite useful for small teams doing extended backcountry trips, backcountry basecamping, mountainous areas with long spells of bad weather, and guided/group expeditions. 

ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55
Jim Titt wrote:

I guess Finnish people have a better concept of "Arctic Circle" and "Polar Night" than someone living in Hawaii  

Where do you find a tree to hook this to above the arctic circle?

Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 505

I'm look forward to my crag being overrun with dirty slacklining hippies using this so they can power speakers to play loud shitty reggae.

ebmudder wrote:

Where do you find a tree to hook this to above the arctic circle?

Well it certainly a downside that you need something strong to tie the Finnish one to which is why I prefer the look of the other one. However there are plenty of trees up above the Arctic circle, I´ve only been to northern Sweden and that was forested and Finland has more. The Gulf stream helps!

wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

in the absence of trees you could easily attach it to one of the guy out points on the tent

alan.goldbetter · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 1
wisam wrote:

in the absence of trees you could easily attach it to one of the guy out points on the tent

Bingo!

HaroldT · · Corvallis, OR · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 10

If Don Quixote sees that thing, there might be trouble. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Postable wind turbine"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started