Mountain Project Logo

Climbing/Life Balance (Married, Kids, Life...) WHATS THE SECRET!?

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114
Aleks Zebastian wrote:

climbing friend,

not dying alone is terrible and most selfish reason to have family or children. 

now may we all argue about who it is the superior being - one who has fulfilled their biological purpose and "had" the children? Or one who does not "have" the child?

Much wisdom climbing friend.  Dying alone is certainly not a reason to spread the seed.

What was lost in the asynchronous mode of forum communication, was the larger point.  Choices we make as young strong flashers of the gnar, can have impacts later in life when the jelly belly takes over.  Crushing the pebbles and running out the trads, in the singular pursuit of flashing stone enlightenment and fulfilment leads to a myopic view of the world. A well rounded life, composed of things other than climbing can lead to not only the physical, but also the psychological well being. Balance in life is a good thing. Finding that equilibrium is one of the greatest challenges in life.

(You can have my on-sights as well, since my flash already belong to you.)

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781

I tried to resist, but I'm just not strong enough!  Damian, age 3, on Ali Bhutto in Squamish.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Jason Todd wrote:

Ton of truth to all of that. 

On the other hand, my wife works in hospice, and winds up being the one who holds the hands of lonely dying patients who have either alienated their families or chose not to have one.

Then you have those same people spending years before hospice care in nursing homes with no visitors. 

I'm selfish, I'll admit it. I had a kid so I could call up and bitch to someone about how the nurses are treating me when they are changing my diapers. 

Fernando Cal · · SLC, UT · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 25
Alicia Sokolowski wrote:

I tried to resist, but I'm just not strong enough!  Damian, age 3, on Ali Bhutto in Squamish.

Dang, now I want a kid

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
Jason Todd wrote:

Much wisdom climbing friend.  Dying alone is certainly not a reason to spread the seed.

What was lost in the asynchronous mode of forum communication, was the larger point.  Choices we make as young strong flashers of the gnar, can have impacts later in life when the jelly belly takes over.  Crushing the pebbles and running out the trads, in the singular pursuit of flashing stone enlightenment and fulfilment leads to a myopic view of the world. A well rounded life, composed of things other than climbing can lead to not only the physical, but also the psychological well being. Balance in life is a good thing. Finding that equilibrium is one of the greatest challenges in life.

(You can have my on-sights as well, since my flash already belong to you.)

climbing friend,

I do believe you are quite wise, and your family quite lucky. I would very much like to study and train at your monastery, if possible. Many hugs, massive, well-honed arms encircling your torso and bechiseled abdominal making this hug somewhat awkward.

Santa Claus · · San Diego · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Aleks have you fathered many unplanned kids by various women? Or paid for many abortions?

i haven't. 

ho ho ho!

Aleks Zebastian wrote:

climbing friend,

ho ho ho!

with name like "Loady McGee" perhaps this is not so difficult for you?

Ha ha ha!

Myah!

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 35
Eric L wrote:

Only someone without kids could possibly say that.  Being a good parent is the complete opposite of being selfish.  The clueless shouldn’t judge.

I have a kid and I'll say it. Having a kid is super selfish, humans are destroying the earth.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbing/Life Balance (Married, Kids, Life...)…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started