Mountain Project Logo

Micro Trax or Ropeman 2?

Original Post
NickO · · West Slope · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 30

I know the TR solo thing has been covered in many posts before and I have read through a good portion of them.  I have one micro trax and am looking for a second device to complete the kit.  The ropeman 2 looks like a good option and the price is a bit easier to swallow than a second micro trax.  Would you suck it up and spend the coin or would a ropeman be a fine backup.  Cheers

Shelton Hatfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 650

My ropeman didn't want to slide up a rope as easily as a microtrax. So low on a route you will have to put more weight on the rope to encourage self feeding. Personally, I'd spend the coin and get the trax

Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I use a ropeman and camp lift. No issues or complaints. 

David Deville · · Fayetteville, AR · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 90

I use a mini trax and a microcender. The microcender slides as well as anything else I've tried and it's cheaper than the microtrax.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

FWIW Petzl's recommendation is to use two significantly different devices, so that if you make a mistake loading one device, you have to make a different mistake loading the other device to have both devices loaded incorrectly. I'd assume this comes from Petzl case studies where someone made the same mistake loading both their devices.

I've always used the Micro Traxion as my primary device, but I've tried two different devices as my secondary device: a Rescuecender and a CT Roll'n'lock. Of these, I prefer the Roll'n'lock, because it's lighter and catches faster than the Rescuecender.

It's been a while since I looked into it, but isn't the Ropeman rated for ropes > 10mm? I seem to remember the reason I didn't get the Ropeman was that I use a 9.8mm rope for TR solo. The CT Roll'n'lock is rated for ropes in the 9mm range. Lots of people have been caught by a Ropeman on ropes it wasn't rated for, but I'd rather have a devices that's rated to work with my rope.

I wish I would have gotten a roll n lock or something that could be locked open.  Easier for laps. No need to take on and off each lap. 

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

The ropeman isn't going to feed nearly as well a micro. Get a Roll'n'lock or microcender/rescuecender

Leroy Fielding · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 23

I have a Ropeman 1 and it feeds just fine as long as there is tension on the rope (i.e. hang a water bottle/pack at the bottom). 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Don't get a ropeman for this purpose.  I got one intending to use it for TR solo and it just doesn't feed well at all compared to a micro trax.

Nick Sweeney wrote:

Don't get a ropeman for this purpose.  I got one intending to use it for TR solo and it just doesn't feed well at all compared to a micro trax.

Yeah I have to disagree my ropeman 1 feeds great. 

Rudy Chavira · · Taylorsville. Ut · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I use mini trad and ropeman no problems make sure rope is weighted. 

Josiah Brubaker · · Seattle · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

I use a Camp Lift as primary device, and microtrax as the backup. The Lift feeds very well and the toothless design causes minimal rope wear vs. the microtrax. 

NickO · · West Slope · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 30

Appreciate the feedback friends

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
Brad Johnson wrote:

Yeah I have to disagree my ropeman 1 feeds great. 

OP asked about a ropeman 2. I have one and it does not feed well... does the 1 really feed as well as a micro trax?

Nick Sweeney wrote:

OP asked about a ropeman 2. I have one and it does not feed well... does the 1 really feed as well as a micro trax?

I’ve only used a micro trax once but with a weighted rope I dont have much if any drag. Don’t even have to think about it as I’m climbing. 

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

I've used the ropeman 1, never actually seen the ropeman 2 out in the wild. If you put enough weight on the bottom of the rope then it will self-feed, but not as smoothly as a trax. This is due to the small amount of friction from the spring pushing the cam into the rope. It'll work, just not as well as a traxion.

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

I pretty much use Ropeman-2 (s) and like them. Yes, you do have to put a bit more weight on the rope (or hold the rope while you slide the device up until thew rope's weight allows it to move up.) 

As for rope diameter, I think the old Ropeman-1's needed a larger rope diameter. I usually use 8mm on slab where there's no overhang involved and the "2" is fine with 8mm. However, check with the company on the actual specs. 

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Robert Hall wrote:

As for rope diameter, I think the old Ropeman-1's needed a larger rope diameter. I usually use 8mm on slab where there's no overhang involved and the "2" is fine with 8mm. However, check with the company on the actual specs. 

It seemed silly to speculate when we can look this up (my fault, I did it first), so I finally did, and you're correct:

Looking at the pictures, the immediate difference that jumps out to me is that the Ropeman 1 has ridges on the cam, while the Ropeman 2 has teeth. This might concern some people, but anyone who has fallen on the Micro Traxion knows that teeth don't damage the rope if you use it correctly.

Now the other question is what static are you guys using. I’m only using my standard dynamic ropes but have been in search of something static. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Micro Trax or Ropeman 2?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started