Mountain Project Logo

BD Ultralight C4 now $130?

Original Post
Matt Pierce · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 312

Wondering why the big price jump? I was thinking of starting to switch to Friends anyhow...

Shaun Gregory · · Front range · Joined May 2016 · Points: 285
RichBeBe · · New York City, NY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1

#4's are $129.95

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,723

The #4 has always been 130. Smaller sizes are cheaper. The site reflects that, try choosing a smaller size, the price will change. Just worked for me.  

Ryan Marsters · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 1,431

The new Wild Country cams are subtly better in every category anyways.

Matt Pierce · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 312

Ah I guess Backcountry had their pricing wrong - all sizes were $130 - yikes

Matthew Williams · · Holladay, UT · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
Ryan Bowen · · Bend, Or · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 85
Ryan Marsters wrote:

As someone with no experience with wild country, I ask why?

Paddy O'Hulk · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 45

The weird pricing also works in your favor for the regular c4's. Just bought a #5 for $74

https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-camalot-c4s?skid=BLD0839-S04-ONSI&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6YmxhY2sgZGlhbW9uZCBjNCAjNToxOjE6YmxhY2sgZGlhbW9uZCBjNCAjNQ==

Thanks Matthew for the tip! Just grabbed one myself! 

Steve Maxey · · Merced, CA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 0
Ryan Marsters wrote:

Elaborate? I've heard otherwise.

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847
Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120
Matthew Derrell Williams wrote:

The weird pricing also works in your favor for the regular c4's. Just bought a #5 for $74

https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-camalot-c4s?skid=BLD0839-S04-ONSI&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6YmxhY2sgZGlhbW9uZCBjNCAjNToxOjE6YmxhY2sgZGlhbW9uZCBjNCAjNQ==

Worked for me with the #5. 

Shaun Gregory · · Front range · Joined May 2016 · Points: 285
Matthew Derrell Williams wrote:

also just picked one up! thanks... only 7 left in there stock

Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85

Grabbed a #5 and scored an extra 15% off as a "new customer"...even though I'm not.  $63.71

B Owens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60
SteveSly wrote:

Elaborate? I've heard otherwise.

What negative things have you heard?  They are lighter, the build quality is at least as good, they have an extendable sling (which you don't have to use if you don't want to ), and the expansion ranges are essentially the same.  What's left to be desired?

B Owens wrote:

What negative things have you heard?  They are lighter, the build quality is at least as good, they have an extendable sling (which you don't have to use if you don't want to ), and the expansion ranges are essentially the same.  What's left to be desired?

Mostly build quality issues. Heard the springs got sticky fast and the trigger wires were really fragile, even with gentle use.

Alas, this is the struggle...all the evidence is anecdotal, and I'm unsure whether enough people even own them to build consensus. They look great, I just don't want to be a guinea pig.

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120

BD also intentionally builds more wiggle room in their cams so they don't stick or gum up nearly as easily. 

Peter Y · · Chapel Hill, NC · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

I own both BD and WC in the BD #3 and 4 sizes. My observations:

-WC 3 has more tension in the spring and is harder to pull, while the WC 4 has comparable tension to the BD 4

-Wider, non-anodized lobes on the WC. Some people say it's a gimmick, but it genuinely seems to stick better to the rock

-My WC 3 did start to get sticky within 3 months of comparable use compared to BD 3 which is fine

-Expansion range is slightly greater in the BD which can make a small, but noticeable difference

-Haven't owned both long enough to test durability, but I think WC did tests on their friends and found the extended sling tweaks the thumb loop at forces of just 5 kN

FWIW I prefer the WC but am happy to have both

Also, thanks to the above for the heads up on backcountry!

SteveSly wrote:

Mostly build quality issues. Heard the springs got sticky fast and the trigger wires were really fragile, even with gentle use.

Alas, this is the struggle...all the evidence is anecdotal, and I'm unsure whether enough people even own them to build consensus. They look great, I just don't want to be a guinea pig.

I'm no pro and certainly don't have the experience with the new friends that others do, but I do own the full range of Wild Country New Friends and can offer my experience with them.  

I've had them for around 6 months at this point, and I've probably climbed 30 to 50 pitches with them.  Climbed mostly on granite, but some sandstone.  I have experienced none of the issues above.  The springs are still responsive and smooth.  The trigger wires are strong and cause no concerns.  I've cleaned them once (after a sandstone multi-pitch), although that wasn't strictly necessary.

They feel very well made and I have no concerns.  I would buy them again in a second and definitely recommend them.  Camalots are great cams, but New Friends are lighter, and I personally really appreciate the doubled sling.  

B Owens wrote:

I'm no pro and certainly don't have the experience with the new friends that others do, but I do own the full range of Wild Country New Friends and can offer my experience with them.  

I've had them for around 6 months at this point, and I've probably climbed 30 to 50 pitches with them.  Climbed mostly on granite, but some sandstone.  I have experienced none of the issues above.  The springs are still responsive and smooth.  The trigger wires are strong and cause no concerns.  I've cleaned them once (after a sandstone multi-pitch), although that wasn't strictly necessary.

They feel very well made and I have no concerns.  I would buy them again in a second and definitely recommend them.  Camalots are great cams, but New Friends are lighter, and I personally really appreciate the doubled sling.  

Thanks for the mini-review -- can you speak to the above noted issue with the thumb loop kinking with loading the extended sling?

Peter Yang wrote:

I own both BD and WC in the BD #3 and 4 sizes. My observations:

-WC 3 has more tension in the spring and is harder to pull, while the WC 4 has comparable tension to the BD 4

-Wider, non-anodized lobes on the WC. Some people say it's a gimmick, but it genuinely seems to stick better to the rock

-My WC 3 did start to get sticky within 3 months of comparable use compared to BD 3 which is fine

-Expansion range is slightly greater in the BD which can make a small, but noticeable difference

-Haven't owned both long enough to test durability, but I think WC did tests on their friends and found the extended sling tweaks the thumb loop at forces of just 5 kN

FWIW I prefer the WC but am happy to have both

Also, thanks to the above for the heads up on backcountry!

I've taken a small fall onto my #1 Friend and the thumb loop was fine.  I don't know what forces were generated (there was probably around 20 feet of rope out and I fell around 5-8 feet, weighing probably 210lbs loaded), but there were zero issues with the thumb loop.

Has anyone here actually kinked a thumb loop on a new Friend?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "BD Ultralight C4 now $130?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started