Mountain Project Logo

Idaho Ice?

Evan Smiley · · Moab · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

Posing to follow the thread. New to Boise, geared up to second. Stoked for ice and alpine climbs. Happy to travel throughout the area.

Nick Kozlowski · · Idaho Falls, ID · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

I'm looking to head down this month on a weekend, hopefully before it snows. Sounds like a choose your adventure along the river, ice throughout the gorge. Can anyone tell me what property access is like? Are there falls on private property that shouldn't be attempted? Am I misunderstanding the area in general?
I can't find a guide :(

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Following, for conditions in Twin, for mid month.

OLH

Schmitz · · Meridian · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Just climbed rock roll in Ketchum. Bottom top and middle have ice all the way. Get there early if you go before the sun hits the top pitch.

Does anyone happen to know how Twin Falls ice is holding up? Climbable? Melted out?

Kevin Hansen · · Melba Idaho · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 130
Schmitz wrote:

Does anyone happen to know how Twin Falls ice is holding up? Climbable? Melted out?

From my experience, Twin Falls Idaho is pretty resilient. 

That said, I have climbed in the canyon when everything is melting, dripping, and Gore-Tex is a must. Will the vertical slush hold a screw? A Fall? Maybe...

Lets just keep to the first rule of ice climbing in that the leader must not fall.  

Vanessa Fabian · · Jackson, WY · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 435
Schmitz wrote:

Pretty bad conditions... I went down yesterday and things are really melting out and delaminating. It's been warm and rainy this week. :( 

Climbable on TR if you're delicate.... I'm not sure I'll go this week unless we get a good cold snap.

Thanks Vanessa! Seems to be everywhere close to us. Sending wishes for harsh weather.

Jacob Wilson · · Cardiff, Wales · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 54

Hey everyone! I'm out of Moscow, Idaho and I'm heading down south this weekend to meet some friends at Sun Valley. Seeing if anyone is interested in climbing ice on Friday (1/19)? Or maybe doing a back-country tour? I'm an avid splitboarder, have my avy one, and can lead easy WI3. I can follow whatever. Have gear, will travel. It doesn't have to be near Sun Valley, I'm happy to add a few hours to my drive, if means getting on some ice. Thanks! (630) 779-3692

andyedwards · · OR · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 205

If anyone wants to check out Teton Canyon, and needs a partner, PM me. Haven't led anything this season, but would happily follow.

Or send a text. 612-802.4544

Scott Hurst · · Rexburg, ID · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

I was in Teton Canyon this weekend and all the ice we looked at was in great shape. Boy Scout was hidden by snow but that is not uncommon for this time of year. 

Jim Clarke · · Summit Park, UT · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 1,656

Wondering if anyone had any beta on Southern Idaho ice...looking to get out...

Owen Witesman wrote:

Anyone able to point me to beta for Teton Canyon? Will be in Rexburg for the next couple of weeks and might have time to get out.

I'll be away this weekend, but available to get in there the weekend after if you're still around. Feb 24th. 

Tod Gunter · · Hailey, ID · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 90

Any word if the Twin Falls ice has come back?  I’m assuming it has after two weeks of this cold.   Looking to hit Shoshone Falls this weekend...may need a partner.

I was planning on this myself, hoping someone would have some info. I'm coming from IF

Tod Gunter wrote:

Any word if the Twin Falls ice has come back?  I’m assuming it has after two weeks of this cold.   Looking to hit Shoshone Falls this weekend...may need a partner.

I'm curious too, although I can't do squat about it. Stoopid work.....

:-(  OLH

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

All of you are driving South for ice when you should be heading North... Plenty to do in the Idaho panhandle!  I've been sworn to secrecy though...

Jacob Wilson · · Cardiff, Wales · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 54

Any Panhandle climbers looking to get out this weekend? 

Nick Sweeney wrote:

All of you are driving South for ice when you should be heading North... Plenty to do in the Idaho panhandle!  I've been sworn to secrecy though...

My dear sir, I do believe you are forgetting that from Boise, it is a shorter drive to 8 western states and maybe Canada, than to the panhandle.

Best, OLH

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
Old lady H wrote:

My dear sir, I do believe you are forgetting that from Boise, it is a shorter drive to 8 western states and maybe Canada, than to the panhandle.

Best, OLH

I can't argue with you there!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Idaho Ice?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started