Mountain Project Logo

Yosemite Camping in the winter

Original Post
Bug Boy · · In my car · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 81

Was thinking about heading to the valley for some bouldering (weather permitting, but want to have a little bit of an idea of where I could sleep. Anyone have any info on camping in the valley in the winter?- really know nothing here. Any information on camping or road access is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292

Last week it was 11 degrees overnight in camp 4. 2 other people in the entire campground.  If it snows, there will be chain control on the 120. The 140 will be clear. Tioga Pass is closed. Just pack warm and show up at Camp 4. Fill out a site on the clipboard at the ranger kiosk. 

Gavin Towey · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

Some of the tent cabins in Curry have propane heaters.

Tony L · · San Carlos · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 832

You can also camp for free down low near MidPines where it'll be warmer. I'd think the better climbing is down near Arch Rock anyway. 

Brian Prince · · reno · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 2,727

Camp 4 is doable. Check nighttime temps. Upper pines still open. Was crowded this past (New Years) weekend but now the whole valley is  empty. It has been plenty warm too. 

Always can drive out of the park on the 140 where it's free and for sure warm 

Basically not different than any other time except no line to get a spot at camp 4 and easy to score a pines site. 

Bug Boy · · In my car · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 81

Sweet, thanks everyone! I'll definitely remember to bring chains. 

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

Have an epic sesh dude. Anything in the sun will be perfect.

Free wi-fi at the pizza spot at Yosemite Village....chill and pass some time in the evenings.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Yosemite Camping in the winter"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started