Mountain Project Logo

Best carabiner to use with a Grigri?

Original Post
Jackson Chambers · · Springville, UT · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 52

What's your favorite carabiner to use with a Grigri? I'm looking at a BD magnetron, but I'm open to other ideas. Currently using a Trango Regulock screw gate. 

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Literally anything that locks, the carabiner plays no role in the rope handling of a grigri.

Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I just use any locker but typically a positron or rock lock. However I think I’m going to try the new DMM Ceros as I think that’s an awesome answer!

snobbit · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 10

My partner got me using the BD Gridlock Magnetron and I like it very much. Takes a day to get good at taking it on/off your harness. No one will want to borrow your belay device though. 

Andy Burt · · Sugar Hill, GA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 0

I’ve used the BD Rocklock Magnetron with all of my belay devices since it was  released and absolutely love it. That said, I have large-ish hands and it’s quick and easy for me to unlock with one hand. The women I climb with have smaller hands and have a bit more trouble with it. YMMV.

Wes C · · Cleveland, oh · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 146

I use a black diamond gridlock on all my belay devices.  Works well for me and my wife, she uses them as well.

Mitch L · · Bay Area · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 1

I’m tempted to use a gridlock because carabiner often rotates 90 degrees while belaying with my atc or grigri. 

The gridlock just seems like a pain

Wes C · · Cleveland, oh · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 146
Mitch Lemos wrote:

I’m tempted to use a gridlock because carabiner often rotates 90 degrees while belaying with my atc or grigri. 

The gridlock just seems like a pain

Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature.  It took about two gym sessions and I wasn't even thinking about it.

Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 170

The Gridlock requires that the GriGri be on the small side (upside down), so loading it is a bit goofy. I use a Gridlock with an ATC and it’s perfect for that. I use a DMM Rhino with my GriGri; it’s perfect. The Ceros is great too, it just depends whether or not you want a belay keeper.

Falon Vigér · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 15
Victor K wrote:

The Gridlock requires that the GriGri be on the small side (upside down), so loading it is a bit goofy. I use a Gridlock with an ATC and it’s perfect for that. I use a DMM Rhino with my GriGri; it’s perfect. The Ceros is great too, it just depends whether or not you want a belay keeper.

I've been using my gridlock "backwards" for years now and never had any crossloading issues. I climb in a petzl hirundos so the belay loop is quite thin and fits the small end perfectly which makes loading and unloading super easy. I know it's technically not the correct way to load a gridlock but again, no issues for years now

Scott Baird · · Hagerstown, MD · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 110

I use a BD gridlock screwgate with the grigri on the small side. It's faster and easier than you think, and quickly becomes second nature

Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Any other Rhino users?  My only worry is it would be a pain to rack. 

Brandon C · · Cincy, OH · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 240

After a few years and a handful of different carabiners, I stopped switching once I found the Petzl Am'd. It seemed to be the least annoying, unlikely to cross-load, and generally best "fitting" of a few different ones I used.  I'd assume any modified "D" locker would work similarly well. 

ANGUS WIESSNER · · Denver Colorad · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,613

#1  DMM Ceros  Best carabiner for the grigri+

The Ceros is a better version of the bd grid lock plus the Rhino Horn 

Rhino Gridlocked!

#2   ROCKEXOTICA Orca        Set to the ready position to open gate like a non-locker 

Large and ergonomic angled gate opening    ORCA Safe!

#3   Petzl Sm'D   Hole allows a TIBLOC GRIGRI or a MICRO TRAXION to be connected to the carabiner with a cord, making these devices loss-proof

works nice with a grigri 2 and is a nice light option for super light missions! 

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

I use the Petzl Freino, works great, no cross loading. An expensive solution if you don't need the friction spur. 

Xan Calonne · · Yucca Valley · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 61

The one having the most fun. 

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10
Bradley Johnson wrote:

Any other Rhino users?  My only worry is it would be a pain to rack. 

Yes, it is pretty wonderful, not a pain. But also some any biner works the same has a rihno with a big lump of tape rolled around it in the same place as the rhino nub horn thing.

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20

You can't go wrong with a strong quick link. Use a wrench to cinch it down tight and then open it when needed. 

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

All I would add to this is use an  auto locking biner. Big fan over a night's belaying. Never any question its locked. Petzl Am'D for me.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Falon wrote:

I've been using my gridlock "backwards" for years now and never had any crossloading issues. I climb in a petzl hirundos so the belay loop is quite thin and fits the small end perfectly which makes loading and unloading super easy. I know it's technically not the correct way to load a gridlock but again, no issues for years now

I'm a bit confused about what you mean by "backwards". Like, the GriGri is attached to the small end of the carabiner?

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

Petzl Freino, if you climb with heavy partners

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best carabiner to use with a Grigri? "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.