Mountain Project Logo

petzl lynx question

Original Post
RWPT · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 0

This is a question coming from a person with not alot of experience with crampons and getting into ice climbing. Narrowed my shoe selection between the Scarp Mont Blanc Pro GTX and the Phantom Techs.   Considering the Petzl Lynx as the crampon.   I checked the pons out at the store and noticed the heel lock does not have any capabilities for micro-adjustments.  Seems like all the other brands do.  For those wtih the Lynx, do you consider this as something Petzl should not have left out?   I think the older models have it.

Thanks

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

It's much easier than the other models. Have used the old style with micro-adjustment knob and the new one is an imporovement.

Also may I direct you towards the dart or dartwin depending on what you are doing I now wish I would have used a lighter crampon.

Thanks Greg,

I looked at dart and dartwin and thought with lynx being modular it suited my needs more.  Just getting back into ice climbing after being away for a dozen years and even back then didn't do much.  So thought the lynx would be more of a generall all-around pon than the dart or dartwin.  Let me know if you disagree.

Josh Hutch · · State of Jefferson · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 90

I have the Darts and Scarpa Phantom Guides. No problems at all not having the micro adjustment. 

Blake Bolton · · Boise · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I've got the Mont Blanc Pros and the lynx for my set up and they fit wonderfully. You can adjust the rear lever/heel lock position by adjusting the bar position on the back of the crampon. Playing with all of the positions on the toe bail, heel lock and center bar you're able to dial in your fit perfectly. 

Thanks everyone for response

Richard Murray · · Conway · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 95
Blake Bolton wrote:

I've got the Mont Blanc Pros and the lynx for my set up and they fit wonderfully. You can adjust the rear lever/heel lock position by adjusting the bar position on the back of the crampon. Playing with all of the positions on the toe bail, heel lock and center bar you're able to dial in your fit perfectly. 

Yup, I found the same thing.  I too was skeptical about the lack of a fine-adjustment knob, but with the staggered center-bar holes and the three different bail positions, it's really easy to get a tight-snap fit. Work great on my Mont Blanc Pros and Baruntses.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Rich Murray wrote:

Yup, I found the same thing.  I too was skeptical about the lack of a fine-adjustment knob, but with the staggered center-bar holes and the three different bail positions, it's really easy to get a tight-snap fit. Work great on my Mont Blanc Pros and Baruntses.

How easy is it to move the bail (heel lever bail, I'm assuming) out in the field? If it's anything like the battle typically required to reposition a toe bail, I'd want no part of it. A few twists of the heel micro-adjust OTOH is quick and painless when one needs a tweak e.g. to adjust for supergaiter rands on the boot toe.

Richard Murray · · Conway · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 95
Gunkiemike wrote:

How easy is it to move the bail (heel lever bail, I'm assuming) out in the field? If it's anything like the battle typically required to reposition a toe bail, I'd want no part of it. A few twists of the heel micro-adjust OTOH is quick and painless when one needs a tweak e.g. to adjust for supergaiter rands on the boot toe.

The toe bail is considerably harder to move than the heel. I was able to do the heel by hand. In a pinch, I'd disconnect the center bar and use that as a pry bar if needed for the front bail. Incidentally, the end of the center bar is your wrench to hold back on the point-adjustment screw.

I will say, I ordered the Petzl Lynx, BD Cyborg, and Grivel G14 for a side-by-side comparison. The Lynx is far superior in design, construction, and quality.

Actually, got another question. If you have front welts, are you using the toe bale or hybrid (plastic)?

I've read people are doing more hybrid now...or does it depend on what you are doing.

Blake Bolton · · Boise · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I have toe welts and I use the toe bail. It makes for a very secure fit. Once you get your crampons spend some time dialing it in. I haven't found that I need to adjust the size once I found my fit.

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

I've got a pair of Lynx for sale.  One season of use on ice, no mixed.  Email me if you're interested, thanks! Iceline574 (at) gmail dot com

Tbh you won't go wrong with any of the new generation of crampons, I thought that I would like it being modular too and it hasn't been too useful but hey sometimes I like it. Also if you're getting back into it I'm always game, pm me where you climb if you want to meet up

Kory Goodau · · Great Falls, MT · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0
RWPT wrote:

This is a question coming from a person with not alot of experience with crampons and getting into ice climbing. Narrowed my shoe selection between the Scarp Mont Blanc Pro GTX and the Phantom Techs.   Considering the Petzl Lynx as the crampon.   I checked the pons out at the store and noticed the heel lock does not have any capabilities for micro-adjustments.  Seems like all the other brands do.  For those wtih the Lynx, do you consider this as something Petzl should not have left out?   I think the older models have it.

Thanks

I have these crampons and use the Arc'Teryx Acrux AR boots. And I have no issue fitting them to my boots.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "petzl lynx question"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.