Mountain Project Logo

Looking Glass Rock sold off to oil and gas by Stinky Zinke

Original Post
MikeH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,170

Koch puppets Ryan Zinke and Trump are not only after Indian Creek but the parcel including part of Looking Glass Rock south of Moab was put on sale. Massive amount of land is being leased for cheap to oil companies now that prices are low, this allows them screw the public by avoiding proper fees paid to the Dept. of Interior

in the future when prices go up. See attached maps issued by the Dept of Interior.

This is looking glass rock with its aesthetic rappel after the climb. - in case you didn't know about this formation. 
Laronicus Lehmanold · · Salt Lake, UT · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 290
MikeH wrote:

This is looking glass rock with its aesthetic rappel after the climb. - in case you didn't know about this formation. 

Aesthetic  rappel? You mean rope swing! (;  <== the best part. 

Matt Racicot · · Durango · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 10

I have only climbed it for the rope swing! I don't anticipate they would blow the rock to bits, but will this impact access? Seems like the road straddles the boarder of the land being sold

Matt Racicot wrote:

I have only climbed it for the rope swing! I don't anticipate they would blow the rock to bits, but will this impact access? Seems like the road straddles the boarder of the land being sold

They wouldn't blow the rock to bits but they could put a massive frack pad a few hundred feet to the West on the center of the mineral block, this gives access for multiple multi-directional wells. This would only happen if market conditions and the test wells produce.  On this map they also sold off a block adjacent to a quiet mormon community which will also may not be happy about tons of trucks and outsiders invading the parcel next to their quiet and private community, but they likely voted for DT and local scumbag state politicians so you get what you vote for.

Max Supertramp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 95

I have never driven my 4x4 to recreate at Looking Glass Rock.  Is it worth the drive?  

Max Supertramp wrote:

I have never driven my 4x4 to recreate at Looking Glass Rock.  Is it worth the drive?  

It's not far off the main road there, it's a nice quiet place with the unique rappel/swing, not a place to go for good climbing, but its wicked awesome for beginners to Utah climbing.

We can all NIMBY all day long about our favorite peaceful, scenic places to be at one with stuff, but, seriously, that shit is getting extracted somewhere, so that you, me and all those other people can continue to commute to commune with rocks.  Keep it local bro.  ;-)

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Max Supertramp wrote:

We can all NIMBY all day long about our favorite peaceful, scenic places to be at one with stuff, but, seriously, that shit is getting extracted somewhere, so that you, me and all those other people can continue to commute to commune with rocks.  Keep it local bro.  ;-)

That’s so right, we should just drill it all baby. We should just reverse protected status on all lands bc hey, we’re fucking it up elsewhere, why not here too! You know what you’re talking about. 

just addressing some petrol guilt. I never claimed to know anything about anything, but I did speak the truth.  Bitching about O&G exploration or production at Looking Glass Rock from Denver is pretty entertaining, sure.  I don't think you're hitchhiking much these days, but what do I know?

Yes, Mr. Lebowski, yes.  Fuck it.  

Luke Werner · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 5

Is that the route with a belay spot on top of rattlesnake den?

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240
Luke Werner wrote:

Is that the route with a belay spot on top of rattlesnake den?

Motivation to keep the parties from taking too long on the first pitch.  

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
BrokenChairs BrettC wrote:

Motivation to keep the parties from taking too long on the first pitch.  

Is that a thing? We've always just soloed the whole thing. The only remotely difficult move is right off the ground, after that its just technical scampering. 

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240
eli poss wrote:

Is that a thing? We've always just soloed the whole thing. The only remotely difficult move is right off the ground, after that its just technical scampering. 

Believe it or not it is. I ran past a couple stuck on pitch 2 in my Nikes. To each their own I guess. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Looking Glass Rock sold off to oil and gas by S…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started