Mountain Project Logo

What watch do you guys wear?

Original Post
Yer Gonna Die · · Cragville · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 175

For me, used to be a casio rangeman. lost it. now i wear casio prw-3000.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

None. Haven't worn one in 18 years.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Timex for everyday. Suunto in the backcountry. Nothing on a rock climb.

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270

Apple Watch or Timex Weekender

Jesse Coonce · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
Rich zz wrote:

For me, used to be a casio rangeman. lost it. now i wear casio prw-3000.

I like your style, Casio PRW 3100 here.  It has a relative smallish size for a watch with it's features.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Gunkiemike wrote:

Three out of the four respondents above your post wear watches. Next question?

Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 96

I use to wear a decently nice watch (older garmin) in for long hikes to long routes and then just toss that on my harness since we generally needed to know what time it was when climbing but I ended up crushing the face on an off width pitch a year or so ago. It got me to thinking about what a good simple multi-pitch watch would be (aka cheap, light, small and racks well on the harness). I made this and it worked out well:

• $11 bucks with free shipping (with prime) on amazon: http://a.co/cvYlIZY (women's version ftw)
  • Cut off the shorter band side
  • Fold over the longer band side & duck-tape so the hole is big enough to fit a carabiner:

I toss it on the biner with the tibloc and although the watch looks like it's upside-down when hanging on your harness looking down it reads correctly:

It weighs nothing and is cheap enough that I don't care if it breaks in a year or two (of course it hasn't, that only happens to the nice sh*t)...

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

http://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/wat/watch_detail/G-5600E-1/ or an early coin cell version for maybe 10 years now.

New solar version was quite a nice improvement on something that worked pretty well.

Screen is just regular glass so got scratched a bit during mtb crash, could do with sapphire glass.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Cheapest watch I can find with 3 alarms and a count-down timer. Usually a $30 one from walmart. I tend to go through watches every 1-3 years so it's not worth it to pay any more for a watch. My current one is a $30 walmart one and has lasted about 1.5 years and still going strong. Usually by now the wrist band would have broken and replaced by cord but this guy's holding up really well.

I like the idea of the harness watch, even though it wouldn't work for me (I can't live without a watch on my wrist). What about just cutting the wristband off completely and threading webbing around the pin? Seems like it would be more durable because the plastic will get fatigue and crack after being under tension for a while. 

akafaultline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 225

I got an iwatch and I think it largely sucks.  GPS isn’t accurate with stagnant activities like climbing.   I recently did an ice climb about 300 feet tall-probably hiked a total of 0.5 miles-gps States I walked 2 miles during the climb.  Not accurate for heart rate-but no oximetry reading ever is with any level of movement.  Only reason I kept is because of icare for when I eventually break the thing-nice to have a 2 year warranty     

Also have the suunto core-great watch.  Just wish it had a heart rate monitor.  

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Why do people still wear watches?

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Are we talking while climbing or...

I wear a Tag Heuer or Rolex for everything except rock climbing. Biking, hiking, swimming.. Both watches have heard up well. 

I wear the cheapest Timex watch I can find at WalMart for ice climbing. I stash that watch in my pack come rock season.

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718

I had to bury my suunto earlier this year which served me well, but now I'm wearing a Casio sgw300h, it was like 40 bucks at REI. Its got an altimeter and all that good stuff. 

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

I generally am wearing one of my dive watches, but for a while I have been wearing my Christopher Ward aviation instrument inspired automatic.  I rarely wear anything other than an automatic/mechanical watch.  And I never wear one when climbing or biking.  I used to write about watches, so I may be biased.

ViperScale . wrote:

To tell the time! 

I don't like wearing my cell phone on my wrist. Too cumbersome. :)

Vaughn · · Colorado · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 55

I wear a Suunto Core every day. It comes off for technical rock. Mostly happy with it although when the batteries get low the barometer and compass get all wonky. Also the wristband develops cracks and will break after about 2 yrs which is super annoying since a replacement is like $40.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Gunkiemike wrote:

Samsung Galaxy, iPhone X, whatever. Who wears a watch these days?

Random aside: you should check out the Chinese Android phones. They're made in the same factories as your high-end Samsung phones but cost 1/4 the price, and don't come with the bloatware that comes on American phones.

I have the Huaiwei Hero 6X. It cost me $160 and does everything my previous $800 Samsung did just as well. Lots of tech people I know have switched to these phones.

I personally hate the feeling of something on my wrist, but I can appreciate how some people might find it convenient.

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

iwatch so I can post to mp midpitch....phones are soooo yesterday.

YOUR ON BEEEGAAAAY!

Mark Says · · Basalt, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 395
ViperScale . wrote:

Because my phone makes a lousy heart rate monitor. Also surprisingly (or not surprisingly) enough, my watch also has a better compass, GPS, and altimeter than my phone. When I combine the two, it makes for a helluva combo.

Why do people still think their way of living is the only way?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Mark Says wrote:

Because my phone makes a lousy heart rate monitor. Also surprisingly (or not surprisingly) enough, my watch also has a better compass, GPS, and altimeter than my phone. 

Maybe you just have a crappy phone.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "What watch do you guys wear?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started