Mountain Project Logo

How do you deal with injury

Original Post
Michael Spiesbach · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 105

So I crashed my stupid MT bike and tore the shit out of my kidney.. I'm basically banned from climbing/biking/skiing and anything "strenuous" so no lifting or hang boarding either for 4-6 months.. My question is for anyone else who has been sidelined for a few months and what did you to stave off the boredom and the nagging desire to just get outside and get after stuff again. 

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

Read some good books, copious masturbation and sleep!

Marcelo F · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Weed and video games

Alex Styp · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 75

Some kind of combination of the first two posts....

Vaughn · · Colorado · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 55

Stuff I would do/have done while injured:

-Build and fly model airplanes. 

-Fix up my bike, car, house, motorcycle.

-Pick up photography.

-Brew beer.

-You've got enough time you could build a canoe or kayak!

B Owens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60
Marcelo F wrote:

Weed and video games

Probably a bad idea with a kidney injury, no?

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35

I did a lot more hiking when I was not able to climb for six months as a result of a wrist injury and reconstructive surgery to "fix it".

I also read more, drank more, did more photography and cooking (justification = food & wine pairing).  I wish I had taken a sabbatical or leave of absence and traveled the world.  But I was not financially secure then and wanted the coverage for the expensive surgery and OT afterwards.

Good luck.  And hope you can make the most of your down time.

Eric L · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 145

First, don't do anything to make it worse or the recovery will take twice as long.  Second, find something that is mentally stimulating (art, music, reading, eyc) and work on whatever you can physically (you need to burn some calories / move to stave off mild depression).  Walk or mild hiking (class 1) if you are allowed to - see my first point. 

Nick Thomas · · Duluth, MN · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 35

convince myself the injury is nothing and pain is weakness leaving the body 

climb on it more

get rewarded by injuring myself even worse

repeat

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

Walk, hike, swim, stretch, beer.  But maybe no beer for that kidney.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Weed, LSD, alcohol, and post on mountain project.

LL2 · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 174

Regular schedule is key: Breakfast. Weed. Soap opera. Puzzle. Lunch. Weed. 2+ hour movie. Possible nap. Spend rest of evening with significant other or friend or whatever happens. Sleep. Repeat   

lucander · · Stone Ridge, NY · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 260

I got shut down for six months, used all that free time to write a couple of books.

Vaughn wrote:

Stuff I would do/have done while injured:

-Build and fly model airplanes. 

-Fix up my bike, car, house, motorcycle.

-Pick up photography.

-Brew beer.

-You've got enough time you could build a canoe or kayak!

I have been meaning to try my hand at brewing again.. and I lost the tip of my finger to a gas powered model airplane once so maybe I should give that another go to teach t hem I'm not afraid of them!

David Vogel wrote:

I've been sidelined for months from injury. I recommend road trips to "get out." The above relating to books/study. Pick up a hobby you always wanted to start up but never did, preferably something artisitc. Listen to albums you never got around to listening all the way through. I play guitar so when I was sidelined I channeled a lot musically and got more into recording. Ya catch up on sleep, people who don't sleep enough are literally checking years off their life, so catch up on all those lost Zzz's! I also suggest volunteering or just getting out of your home as one way to avoid boredom/depression and focus more on relationships/hanging out. Also, activity is important, so whatever activity/exercise your doctor recommends...do a lot of it. Hang in there, hope you recover quickly!

Finding ways out of the house is the most important I think... I didn't realize how many nights I would spend at the gym or out hiking/climbing after work until I started just sitting at home after work every night..  I've started convening my fiancé to just walk around home depot with me for like an hour on weeknights just to get out.  On the flip side living in boulder every trip out the door shows me the flatirons and makes me long for climbing a little more lol. 

Rudy Chavira · · Taylorsville. Ut · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Rest, read , road trips

B Owens wrote:

Probably a bad idea with a kidney injury, no?

Nah, probably not: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170824182658.htm

Also, I'm just some random dude that enjoys weed and video games. I'm no doctor. I think the OP knows that and just wanted some general advice on what to do with his time when not climbing.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

total cessation for the masturbation is only way true recovery, everyone is knowing on this ...

B Owens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60
Marcelo F wrote:

Nah, probably not: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170824182658.htm

Also, I'm just some random dude that enjoys weed and video games. I'm no doctor. I think the OP knows that and just wanted some general advice on what to do with his time when not climbing.

I'm not a doctor either, but that study dealt specifically with "young adults with normal kidney function," which is clearly not a description of the OP.  Just applying common sense here.  Kidneys process toxins, and having reduced kidney function is not a time to increase your toxin intake.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that video games adversely affect kidney function.  I endorse the video games as a coping mechanism.

=)

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10

learn to play the guitar...

B Owens wrote:

I'm not a doctor either, but that study dealt specifically with "young adults with normal kidney function," which is clearly not a description of the OP.  Just applying common sense here.  Kidneys process toxins, and having reduced kidney function is not a time to increase your toxin intake.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that video games adversely affect kidney function.  I endorse the video games as a coping mechanism.

=)

Fair enough! It was a pretty lazy search on my part. My suggestion was not specific to the OP's condition, but a more generic answer to what I tend to do when injuries force me to take time off. Ask your doctor if marijuana is right for you!

To the OP: I feel bad about the thread drift, so I'll add one more recommendation:

Take a class (in person, not online). Learn some new skill you're interested in, or work toward some certification that will help you at work. Keeps the mind active, gets you out of the house, and has real world benefits (as opposed to my weed and video games idea).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "How do you deal with injury"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started