Mountain Project Logo

what are the best climbing shoes?

Charles Wilbourn · · USA · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Everything you need to know from sizing, pricing and materials before purchasing shoes for your feet. Climbing is a kinda recreational sport with many sub-disciplines. The climbing shoes that sell best in the U.S. is the Defy and it is according to the report of Evolv. It has become an unquestionable shoe for the beginner for the new generation as well as sport climbers. It is reliable.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Charles Wilbourn wrote:

Everything you need to know from sizing, pricing and materials before purchasing shoes for your feet. Climbing is a kinda recreational sport with many sub-disciplines. The climbing shoes that sell best in the U.S. is the Defy and it is according to the report of Evolv. It has become an unquestionable shoe for the beginner for the new generation as well as sport climbers. It is reliable.

You mean the climbing shoe that sells best for evolv in the US... highly doubt evolv tracks every single shoe sold in the US.

Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 505
Charles Wilbourn wrote:

Why in fuck's name are you replying to thread that hasnt had any replies since 2012

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Kevin Mcbride wrote:

Why in fuck's name are you replying to thread that hasnt had any replies since 2012

I am assuming he read some kinda random article by evolv saying what their most popular shoe was and for whatever reason decided to post it... that or just random trolling.

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25

All y'alls troll detectors suck BallNutz®.

Sam Sala · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 82

I'm just curious how the OP's summer of "tradding" went...OP, did you died yet?

Keith W · · Denvah · Joined May 2015 · Points: 95

For me:

Trad/Crack: Sportiva TC pros (comfy, I can stand in them all day) 

Hard Sport: Sportiva Katana Lace (aggressive but not painfully aggressive)

Gym: 5.10 Mocs (good shoe all around)

michael s · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 80

Zane Winter · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 922

ANYTHING BY RED CHILI

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Are Vibram Five Fingers good for rock climbing?

And what's the number for Rock & Resole?

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

If the shoe fits....   

climb a mile in it.

Alex Styp · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 75

SCARPA Vapors are a stellar all-around shoe! I wear them on everything, in same size, from routes in the Black Canyon and Eldorado to sport climbing on anything not incredibly edgy or overhung. I prefer the lace version. My roommates (boys and girls alike) and I all climb ~200 days a year, and we own multiple pairs of them so that we can resole one pair while blowing out the others...

They also, as well as most SCARPA shoes, have excellent value as they resole better than most brands. The midsole on La Sportiva Mythos and 5.10 "Mocs", is made of a soft, cardboard-like material that does not hold up well over time. Some other brands, like Evolv and some high-end Sportiva shoes, have a firmer mid-sole but can be a bear to work with in the resole shop. SCARPA construction is immaculate throughout and easy to work with for resole work, and holds up over time. Makes for many more vertical miles in your shoes before retirement, if you take proper care of them! I have 2 pairs of SCARPA instincts on their 3rd and 4th resoles at the moment; comparatively I've owned 3 pairs of 5.10 mocs over the years not one pair made it to resole before losing shape/blowing out. Source: My roommate is a full-time rock shoe cobbler and I work in the outdoor industry and have loads of shoes...24 pairs of climbing shoes at last count. 

Only thing better than what is mentioned above are Five Fingers. 

A

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35

Another plug for Scarpa Vapor as a good shoe for most terrain.

I have a tighter Vapor Velcro for gym and everyday climbing.  I have a 1/2 size larger Vapor Lace for 'kicking around' and as a comfy climbing shoe (which still performs admirably well).

I only break out my tight Katana Lace for the toughest steep face and overhanging routes. Not that it is much better that the Vapors but because the Katana Lace fits my feet really, really well.  When it finally dies, I will probably go to the Kataki.  Call me old fashioned for I like laced shoes.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "what are the best climbing shoes?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started