Mountain Project Logo

Hamstring Avulsion Surgery + Recovery

Original Post
Pablo-Roberts · · Prescott, AZ · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 1,165

Hi there,

Just trying to see if anyone else has had to get hamstring surgery to reattach the bicep femoris tendon to the pelvis bone. I just got the surgery done about 6 days ago. Im looking to see what peoples return to climbing was like.

Anyone out there had to have this done?

Ryan Bowen · · Bend, Or · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 85

And again, be patient.

Wow that sounds like the worst report I've heard from anyone so far haha. They've got me on 6-8 weeks crutches, then re-walking + rehab etc 4-6 months of crap.

Bumping to see if anybody else has had this problem!!

Alex Jacques · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 275

Oh man, I feel your pain friend. Early in my climbing career I ripped mine heel-hooking at the Gunks. I knew exactly what had happened, felt a pop and my leg went up over my head basically. It wasn't painful thank god, but getting down was difficult. I went to the ER the following day and got some crutches and then went for an MRI a day later which confirmed. Went for surgery about 12 days after. Wore a HKAF orthosis (pictured below) which was adjustable. I started out in a locked position for 2 weeks or so and then went for incremental adjustments that put me into flexion. I was non-weight bearing for a good 5 weeks or so if I remember correctly. I did PT every day (at home and by appointment) and did a TON of stretching. I do yoga regularly which has been the best thing for it in the long run. I am now more flexible and just as strong as I was before, and a hell of better climber. You'll be fine, just anticipate a long road ahead. I think a year out I was doing back flips again (if that is a marker of success?)

How did you rip yours if you don't mind me asking? I've met a few boulderers who have had similar incidents with heel-hooking.

Acmesalute76 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 71

Holy hell! How is this possible? 

Acmesalute76 wrote:

Holy hell! How is this possible? 

It's definitely not common, essentially a shock-loading injury during rapid flexion at the hip joint

Nice, thanks for your story Alex.

When did you go back to climbing? Was it dramatically different than before?

Pablo-Roberts wrote:

Nice, thanks for your story Alex.

When did you go back to climbing? Was it dramatically different than before?

I was climbing the minute the brace came off, it was essentially like starting over but I was climbing hard again within a year and I don’t even think about it anymore except I do have some chronic pains that I have learned to ignore / mitigate with Yoga. Good luck keep us posted!

The good news (I think-maybe this is a myth) is that I'm a rock climbing instructor and yoga instructor...and besides that I climb as much as my body usually will allow at its maximum all the time...So Im hoping I can bounce back quick from the recovery because of prior strenght and flexibility..

Thats one thing that I've noticed (havent tried yet) but Im the type of person that can put his hands flat on the ground in a forward fold and it seems like that will be painful for a while huh?

Pablo-Roberts wrote:

The good news (I think-maybe this is a myth) is that I'm a rock climbing instructor and yoga instructor...and besides that I climb as much as my body usually will allow at its maximum all the time...So Im hoping I can bounce back quick from the recovery because of prior strenght and flexibility..

Thats one thing that I've noticed (havent tried yet) but Im the type of person that can put his hands flat on the ground in a forward fold and it seems like that will be painful for a while huh?

I would say a deep forward fold will have some pains for the first 6-8 months I forget exactly when it back natural again but years later I can touch my palms without issue although it does take some warming up to get there. Seems like you’ll be in good shape! 

Linda Fontanilla · · Whidbey Island, WA (Philly… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Thanks for this post. I also had an open hamstring repair after heel-hooking and am incredibly eager to get back.

Linda Fontanilla · · Whidbey Island, WA (Philly… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Hey Pablo, how’s the recovery? What type of exercising were you able to do 9 weeks out? Any aquatic therapy/swimming? That’s awesome that there is a crossover between yoga and climbing for both you and Alex (I used to do Yoga a good amount). It seems like my recovery approach (my surgeon’s guidelines) are very conservative compared to Alex’s. I’ve been non weight bearing for about 7 weeks now, really without PT, with a locked at 30 degree extension for two weeks then flexion to extension 40-70 degrees. I get to start 20% weight bearing tomorrow! Anyway, more curious about your recovery.
Thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Hamstring Avulsion Surgery + Recovery"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started