Mountain Project Logo

Cassin X Dream pick weights

Original Post
Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

http://rockandresole.com/climbing-gear/cassin-x-dream-head-weights/

No more stripping Petzl bolts, no more experimenting what tape works best between the weights. No more coming loose mid pitch.

$35 seems steep for metal but it’s about the same price as Petzl. I’ve switched to Ice picks but may go back and try Mixte now that these are out.

Rock and resole, now if I could just find their number.. anyone?

Patrick Cooke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 40

$35 each, FYI... it gets you one pick weight.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

That is ridiculously expensive.  

Per the gentleman at Rock and Resole that’s $35 for a set of pick weights. Who did you hear $35/weight from? Maybe I should order them now!!

Edit: because R&R can be the source of crazy MP threads I called a couple shops around. High Peaks Cyclery in Lake Placid NY said $35/set too. But, I called the Mountaineer and they said $35 for one. 

Sounds to me like some retailers can’t believe CAMP would charge that much so they’re selling them for the wrong price. 

Aaron T · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

Looking them up on Camp's website and hitting add to cart, adds a quantity of 2 for $70. If you can get a set for $35, might jump on that...

It's definitely 35 for one... but they call the item a "set" since it can be modified to fit the weight profile for either the ice or mixte pick. I know since I recently added them to my x-dreams (taking advantage of various deals around black friday to knock the price down to a more reasonable total)!

Thanks Cooke! Appreciate the reply that settles the mystery on price.

Might have kick out that $70. The only problem I have with the XDream is it’s hard to get solid sticks into hard ice without head weights. I’m happy to move up on shallow good sticks following but leading a different story. I’ve been using the ice picks and they work well. I do prefer the Mixte though. Any advice?

Aaron, I did try to check their site. I couldn’t find them. Please post the link? I’m not looking to rip off a shop because they got it wrong. Done too many bad things to think that won’t come back to haunt me. 

Thanks Aaron! 

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle and Eastrevy · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 311
Doug Hutchinson wrote:

But the Petzl weights come free with Nomics.. ;)

I'd be really interested to hear more about the Howey picks after you have some more use on them.

The hole patterns etc. are different between CAMP and the Petzl picks. I tried the Petzl on the X-Dream picks but they'd need some modification, otherwise the weights rotate down and obscure the teeth of the tool at that part of the pick.

Brandonian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35

The shop employees are making a mistake when they see the mixed and ice pieces in the hangcard bag it looks like multiple weights but is just the different pieces of 1 weight

Patrick Cooke wrote:

The hole patterns etc. are different between CAMP and the Petzl picks. I tried the Petzl on the X-Dream picks but they'd need some modification, otherwise the weights rotate down and obscure the teeth of the tool at that part of the pick.

3M tape worked well for me. The rubber tape kept the screw from loosening and the weights from rotating. That’s all well and fine until you burn through a Cassin pick in half a season and have to replace. The bolt strips and you’re left hunting for a new hex bolt.

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle and Eastrevy · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 311
Bill Kirby wrote:...until you burn through a Cassin pick in half a season and have to replace. 

It is way too early for me to make this statement (but that never stopped me before) - I think the Howey picks will last WAY longer than the CAMP picks. 

Marty Theriault · · Quebec, QC · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 310
Doug Hutchinson wrote:

It is way too early for me to make this statement (but that never stopped me before) - I think the Howey picks will last WAY longer than the CAMP picks. 

Howey picks ? more details plz ! 

Jesse Coonce · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
Theriault wrote:

Howey picks ? more details plz ! 

http://howeytool.com/store/

Marty Theriault · · Quebec, QC · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 310
Jesse Coonce wrote:

http://howeytool.com/store/

anyone ever tried them ? 

Jesse Coonce · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
Theriault wrote:

anyone ever tried them ? 

I have a set of the ice picks on order, should be here in mid-Jan.  I understand they are closer to the old Petzl Cascade picks than the current Petzl Ice picks which I am getting them to replace.  All the reviews I have heard so far have been good and they are priced much better than the Petzl picks, also slightly harder metal so if anything they should wear even better.

Shepido · · CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 50

I just read this. Interesting. Howey Tools

Shepido wrote:

I just read this. Interesting. Howey Tools

Thanks! Think I’ll try a pair.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Cassin X Dream pick weights "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started