Mountain Project Logo

Ice in WA?

Original Post
NatejWeber · · Vancouver, WA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Hi All, 

This is my first winter in Washington, and curious when things will start coming into condition. I've got the Washington Ice Book and read the estimates, but I wanted to get some consensus. Don't suppose anyone has seen anything lately that looks juicy, have they? Thanks so much. 

Anthony L · · Hobo gulch · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 20

Last year, I think it was early to mid December when Leavenworth finally froze up. It was a great year last year. Hoping this year is the same. 

Marlin Thorman · · Spokane, WA · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 2,415

People were climbing at Banks Lake by December last year.  But then it was the best year for ice at Banks in a really long time.  WA ice is pretty fickle.  Some years it is great and other years it is very fleeting.  A couple years ago Banks came in once for like 2 weeks before the warm temps brought everything down.  I think Strobach Mountain area is one of the few places that gets good consistent ice every year that lasts (with the exception of the alpine areas).

Nikita Cardenas · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 5

+1 for Strobach Mountain. A long flat approach, but with a snowmobile it took us less than an hour from the car to racking up. 

As for the rest of the state, when its in, you gotta go for it, cuz it might only be in for a few days.

You can get on some flows on either side of WA Pass off hwy 20

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

I want to check out Strobach this year! 

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Nikita Cardenas wrote:

+1 for Strobach Mountain. A long flat approach, but with a snowmobile it took us less than an hour from the car to racking up. 

As for the rest of the state, when its in, you gotta go for it, cuz it might only be in for a few days.

You can get on some flows on either side of WA Pass off hwy 20

How was the sled in? Is that mostly on a road and easy to double up on the sled? 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
Nick Drake wrote:

How was the sled in? Is that mostly on a road and easy to double up on the sled? 

Let's get your sled out there and find out dude!

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Nick Sweeney wrote:

Let's get your sled out there and find out dude!

First I have to get up to Easton and make sure the damn thing starts. I forgot to put any type of fuel stabilizer in it or fill the tank the last day out, hope the damn ethonal fuel blends didn't turn into watery gel.

Later on mid winter there is usually a pretty fat WI3ish looking line out by the lake ingalls trail. There's also some super secret squirrel stuff that comes in during real cold spells out north of salmon la sac........requires a tyrolean on a huge steel cable over the river from mining days :) 

Anthony L · · Hobo gulch · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 20
Nick Drake wrote:

First I have to get up to Easton and make sure the damn thing starts. I forgot to put any type of fuel stabilizer in it or fill the tank the last day out, hope the damn ethonal fuel blends didn't turn into watery gel.

Later on mid winter there is usually a pretty fat WI3ish looking line out by the lake ingalls trail. There's also some super secret squirrel stuff that comes in during real cold spells out north of salmon la sac........requires a tyrolean on a huge steel cable over the river from mining days :) 

Saw some stuff on lake ingalls trail that looked fun last year. Cmon cold. 

If anyone is looking for a Washington ice partner, drop me a line. 

NatejWeber · · Vancouver, WA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Do you guys know when Pan dome might come into condition?

kyle.hornor Hornor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 20

Hey would be stoked to get out on some WA ice if it comes in! Feel free to pm me.  

Roy B. · · Entiat, Washington · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

I'm new to Washington as well and am looking for some ice partners. I'm in the Wenatchee area, and definitely available to climb some ice.

Caleb Mallory · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; PNW · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 425

Newer to Washington as well, in the Seattle area. Will definitely be available and looking for partners. 

Michael Davidson · · North Bend, WA · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 141
Row B · · Winthrop WA · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0

There's also a Facebook group with regular updates on conditions and a good spot to line up partners

Caleb Mallory · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; PNW · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 425
Robie S wrote:

There's also a Facebook group with regular updates on conditions and a good spot to line up partners

Did a little searching on FB, care to share a link to the page? Thanks! 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1667235300255596/about/

you have to request to join, as per usual on FB, but any member can ok someone, so shouldnt be an issue

worth checking out the SW BC ice page as well if you are in the area and mobile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1640108706242206/about/

Thanks Robie!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Ice in WA?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started