Mountain Project Logo

Continental USA Climbing map. What am I missing?

Original Post
Caitlin Wolters · · Tahoe City, CA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 85

I'm making an artistic map showing major and moderate-size climbing areas in the US. 

MP compressed the full image too much to see all of the US at once, so here's a link to a full screen.

When I'm done I want to color it something like this.

I'm mostly going off Mountain Project data for areas, but a lot of popular places don't have many routes listed, so let me know what I'm missing!

I'll update the map and link as people make suggestions. 

Colton L · · Colorado · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 15

Yosemite is too far south and Bishop should be North of Red Rock, which you should arguably omit the “s” from.

Moab is North of Indian Creek.

This is is going on a website?

Colton L wrote:

Yosemite is too far south and Bishop should be North of Red Rock, which you should arguably omit the “s” from.

Moab is North of Indian Creek.

This is is going on a website?

Thanks for the info! I fixed the issues and updated the link. The map is just for fun. Maybe a Christmas present. 

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

Is it meant to be comprehensive? You got most of the big spots of course. I am printing it out right now. I think it's cool.

Jared Casper · · Scotts Valley, CA · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 10

Cool map!

Small nit is that it seems a little bouldering-centric to choose Moe's Valley of all the crags in St. George.  Is Moe's really that well known?  I'd maybe just put "St. George" instead of Moe's Valley.

I'd also maybe add Pinnacles if you're going to include Castle Rock in north central CA (again showing a bit of a boulderer's bias).

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Yosemite seems to have slid halfway down CA.

City of Rocks is almost just north of the line between Nevada and Utah. You might add The Fins to Idaho. No, it isn't super well known, but has some elite climbs.

Pretty thoughtful present!

Best, OLH

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote:

Is it meant to be comprehensive? You got most of the big spots of course. I am printing it out right now. I think it's cool.

Not comprehensive, but I'd like to get the most popular spots and then add some medium-size spots as space allows!

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I know the locals love to keep Montana a secret but there is a lot more there. Also Idaho is a little denser than that.

In Wyoming of note, freemont canyon, near Casper.

Santa Fe NM has Diablo. Taos has multiple crags too, probably most popular is El Rito. 

I don't have any input beyond that. 

Chris Richards · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

North Conway NH should be on this map. Cannon Mountain too. New England needs some love.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Hmmm missing a ton of spots... looks like you got alot of the tourist sites though.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote:

I know the locals love to keep Montana a secret but there is a lot more there. Also Idaho is a little denser than that.

In Wyoming of note, freemont canyon, near Casper.

Santa Fe NM has Diablo. Taos has multiple crags too, probably most popular is El Rito. 

I don't have any input beyond that. 

Fixed except Montana, but I'll work on it

Added North Conway and Cannon. I don't know New England that well but I'll be moving there soon!

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

moab and indian creek need to flipped with each other's spot.

Also maybe consider lumping all of Chattanooga's spots into 1 so it can be geographically correct.

Edit: Also, washington state could use some love too. And Western NC is missing a lot. And maybe consider adding the san jauns for SW colorado.

IJMayer · · Guemes Island, WA · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 350

yea i'd think elephant's perch or at least the general "sawtooths" could be a nice addition to idaho

natural bridge in montana has a decent amount of sport climbing at a wide range of grades (with lots more potential)

butte, montana, bouldering is also extensive

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

well, I was always taught that if you cant say some thing 'nice' it is better to say nothing at all

but . . . . You asked " Am I Missing, . . . . Wait for it  .  .  .  .  .   .  .  . ANYTHING?!, um   .  .  .  . YEAH!

But it is what you have included that drew this post.

BALD ROCK??? BROHHAAHAHAHAHA, THAT IS THE LAST PLACE IN 4 - 5 STATES (R.I, Mass, Ct  Nj& ny) TO INCLUDE  -   IT SAYS YOU ARE FROM NEW HAVEN CONNECTICUT  , I can Understand No Hanging Gardens Of Meridian,(Chatfield Hollow, etc.) but why no mention of the places where Fritz Wiessner 1st climbed; Ragged Mountain? or East Peak at the very least ?

I will offer a place of historic value.that is currently posted with "No Climbing" signs. In New Jersey there is a cliff along Diamond Hill road,( roughly between New Providence & Scotch Plains)  between Rt78 & Rt22, The far end of the Watchung Reservation , at Seely's Pond. That from the late !940s on , it has been Nj secret training ground. . . . The William Shockley of Shockley's Ceiling, climbed there while up the street at Bell Labs, he was working towards a Nobel Prize,

Bryce Adamson · · Burlington, CT · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,392

Agreed with Michael. as someone who enjoys climbing there, there are a lot of places that should be ahead of Bald Rock. Many of the biggest and most historic places to climb in Southern New England aren't on MP, or are only partially included, because of access.

Also, both Lynn Woods and Cape Ann? Never climbed there, but my impression was that Boston climbers went to New Hampshire or Western Mass every chance they got. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2

I'd have said Rumney was west of North Conway, not south -- but space considerations.

Also, the 'Dacks look a bit too far north.

Also, it is "Pawtuckaway" not "Pawatuckaway".  At least, that's what my bouldering buddies say, and Google seems to agree with them, not you.

Mike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 30

Well just thought I would point out Duluth has very little climbing so not sure why that's on there. The climbing in northern MN is concentrated significantly away from Duluth... Listing cities some places and just climbing areas others is kinda tough to determine the goal here though. 

Andy Summers · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 56

Devil's Lake should be a bit south (more in line with the top border of Iowa) and a touch west.

(Sorry for the nitpicking, but nitpicking has a long tradition at Devil's Lake  )

sean o · · Northern, NM · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 48

It seems pretty arbitrary, and I'm not sure how you can improve it.  WA equals Index and Leavenworth?  Albuquerque (i.e. the Sandias) and Las Cruces (i.e. the Organs) make it in NM, but not Brazos?  What are you trying to create?

CrimpDaddy WesP · · Chattanooga!! · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 3,195

There are some popluar bouldering areas in PA- gretna and stable- but not sure how comprehensive you want this to be

kalockwood · · SLC, UT · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 342

The VRG (Virgin River Gorge) should be added to the very Northwest corner of Arizona.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Continental USA Climbing map. What am I missing?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started