Mountain Project Logo

Girth hitching a bowline to harness tie in points (lanyard), what kind of strength reduction should I expect?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Ted Pinson wrote:

Eli, while I agree with your sentiment, I think the frustration Nate expressed comes from newer/beginner climbers constantly feeling the need to modify/invent when there are already proven, fully functional alternatives.  The examples you gave came from experienced climbers and engineers seeing an emergent need and designing efficient solutions. The first thing one should always do before starting something new is to review and understand what has already been done before and to critically assess the limitations of these methods in order to determine whether a new design is truly warranted.

+1

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Ted Pinson wrote:

Eli, while I agree with your sentiment, I think the frustration Nate expressed comes from newer/beginner climbers constantly feeling the need to modify/invent when there are already proven, fully functional alternatives.  The examples you gave came from experienced climbers and engineers seeing an emergent need and designing efficient solutions.  The first thing one should always do before starting something new is to review and understand what has already been done before and to critically assess the limitations of these methods in order to determine whether a new design is truly warranted.

I agree with the bolded statement, but I disagree with the idea that only "experienced climbers" or "experts" should be allowed to experiment with ideas and creativity. Newbies can also have really great ideas. But what I'm seeing is an immediate hostility towards any kind of new idea regardless of experience level (perceived or real).

Thomas Edison found 1000 ways not to create a light bulb before he figured out the right way to do it. Point is, there are going to have to be a lot of bunk ideas before we can get some awesome ones. If you don't want the bunk ideas then you can't have the good ones either.  

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
eli poss wrote:

But what I'm seeing is an immediate hostility towards any kind of new idea regardless of experience level (perceived or real).

What you are seeing is not hostility, it is encouraging people to use their initiative, do the basic research and learn about the processes involved in developing new ideas BEFORE they come on the internet.

Thomas Edison took many attempts to make a working light bulb but he only sprayed about the succesful one!

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
eli poss wrote:

I agree with the bolded statement, but I disagree with the idea that only "experienced climbers" or "experts" should be allowed to experiment with ideas and creativity. Newbies can also have really great ideas. But what I'm seeing is an immediate hostility towards any kind of new idea regardless of experience level (perceived or real).

Thomas Edison found 1000 ways not to create a light bulb before he figured out the right way to do it. Point is, there are going to have to be a lot of bunk ideas before we can get some awesome ones. If you don't want the bunk ideas then you can't have the good ones either.  

He also screw up tons of things but basically got credit for the modern electric world that we have because of what Tesla did.

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420
Tradiban wrote:

Girth hitch to the belay loop is how Todd Skinner died.

Without more context, this is as valid as saying “Driving a car is how Wolfgang Gullich died”.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Girth hitching a bowline to harness tie in poin…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started