Mountain Project Logo

Cathedral Ledge Climbing Video

Original Post
Skeletor 69 · · MT · Joined May 2016 · Points: 120

Made this video for a project for my intro to film class and thought I'd share it here if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGseVp83MPg&t=7s 

Routes climbed: Nutcracker and Book of Solemnity  

Climber: Travis Rase 

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

Are you looking for critique at all?

The assignment is already due so it won't help me with the grade at all but sure any input would be great. I just posted it because it seemed just as relevant as anything else on here...

stephen arsenault · · Wolfeboro, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 66

I am sure your teacher will love it.  It is tough doing a video like this unless you have a third person hanging out to the side, taking the video, without being involved with rope management etc.

I'm sure if you were on a real vertical section of the cliff, taken from the side, showing the angle, it would be more dramatic. Funny how the Book of S.,  is such low angle, but still unexpectedly hard.

Thanks Stephen. Yeah it would be pretty cool to rap in from the top of the prow and get some shots of someone climbing through the roof. Also sorry to bother you but we've exchanged emails before right? How was your trip to the winds? 

Ira OMC · · Hardwick, VT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 273

As, The Book... love that climb. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Owen Silitch wrote:

...but sure any input would be great.

It's a 3 minute climbing video. There is no actual climbing until the 1:20 mark.

Not video related: what's up with that large pack on Cathedral?

Brought a bunch of camera equipment with us and needed something to carry it... obviously I made the follower take all of it ;)

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

Marc's critique is basically what I was gonna say. Driving around is stuff most people see pretty frequently--I don't think it adds much to the video to have that long sequence at the beginning and I think a lot of the YouTube/Vimeo crowd will click away before they see the climbing.

I think you'll do well on the grade though.

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,825

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113883719/why-most-climbing-videos-suck

Compare your video against this I guess. Nice to see the drive through the parking at the base of Cathedral (serious nostalgia) and some memories of both routes!

Owen Silitch wrote:

Brought a bunch of camera equipment with us and needed something to carry it... obviously I made the follower take all of it ;)

Ha! Of course!

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960

I would recommend a DYI steadycam or tripod...

David Kerkeslager wrote:

Marc's critique is basically what I was gonna say. Driving around is stuff most people see pretty frequently--I don't think it adds much to the video...

I'd even include the gear fondling, um, I mean, "racking up".

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Cathedral Ledge Climbing Video"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started