Mountain Project Logo

'17-'18 South Texas Ice Conditions

Original Post
Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35

For the first time since 2009 South Texas received snow with some parts exceeding a full inch.  So, I'm going to answer that burning question inside of us all "What about the ice climbing???"

"Smear of Fear the Steer" (aka the ice rink in the mall) is IN.  However, the approach is pretty perilous fighting suburban moms for close parking.  Also, not really worth roping up as you know, its flat.

"Remember The Alamo Ice House" is bone dry.  Just like this state voting democratic, this will only form if Hell freezes over.

"Its Not the Spin-drift, Its the Humidity" (aka my neighbors busted sprinkler pipes) is showing promise.  They are so bad at sprinkler repair, Ouray-CO doesn't have as many water spigots for farming ice.

Finally, "Green Eggs and a 72oz Steak" (aka the water slide at the community pool) still needs more time to form.  I'd say give it another 10,000 years for the next ice age and it will be spliter.  A 60m will safely get you down as it is only a 19' water slide.  I'm not sure if the 42" height limit includes reach with tools or not.

Here's to sharp tools, hero swings, and ice fatter than Houston's obesity epidemic!! 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Kudos to making do with what you’ve got!

Derek Strittmatter · · AUSTIN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 20

Better pack the nomics for Potrero!

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35
Derek Strittmatter wrote:

Better pack the nomics for Potrero!

How is the weather there?  Any burgschrunds I need to avoid?

Derek Strittmatter · · AUSTIN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 20

I'll be sure you only do rappel descents on this trip... we actually postponed our drive down because of the weather. We're crossing the border in the morning. See you down there!

Blakevan · · Texas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 56
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

Historic Note:   : Long before the cool new ice boots, aka 'fruitboots' came into fashion for ice comps, well those south Texans had it going with the 'heel spur'  for ice use as it was a natural part of their daily cowtown and ranch working boots worn daily.    Now as for ice conditions,,,,that sure is as rare as a white buffalo roaming the west Texas plains one day soon. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "'17-'18 South Texas Ice Conditions"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.