Mountain Project Logo

Dec. weather in Hidden Valley, Saurotown

Original Post
Ryan McDermott · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 110

Going to be in Roanoke, VA, 12/13-18 and hoping to make at least one day trip, maybe an overnight to Hidden Valley. Have never been. Will the weather forecast for Abingdon (elev. 2000ft) apply to the crag, or will elevation make it significantly colder/windier up there? Would Saurotown be considerably warmer than Hidden Valley? Thanks!

Will Maness · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 115

I can't speak to Hidden Valley, but I'm sure someone else can.  As long as there are clear skies, Sauratown is the place to be on a cold day!  I have been out there with a forecast high of 33 climbing in T-shirts!  There's more than enough classic lines to keep you busy for a day or two!  

Will Maness · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 115

Also, here is a link to the CCC's Sauratown guide!

https://carolinaclimbers.org/sites/default/files/sauratown_2016.pdf

Pat Henner · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

If the sun is out you can climb at Hidden Valley with the temps in the 30's.. The cliff faces south and creates a lot of solar heat. 

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

Hidden Valley tends to be a bit colder than Abingdon, but the forecast there will be a decent guide. If you chase the sun on cold days it can be good. I have also seen it snow at the crag and not in town. Sauratown is definitely the warmer of the two. Pilot is also a good cold weather crag. 

Emil Briggs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 125

Good advice here for you. One thing I would add though is that if there is any frozen precip on the ground the last section of the road to Hidden Valley can be an adventure since it's very steep and narrow.

Ryan McDermott · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 110

Thanks, all. I have climbed at Sauratown, but never at HV. My distant impression is that HV is much higher quality. So we are feeling willing to risk conditions at HV out of preference. Is our feeling misplaced?

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

Higher quality? Not sure about that. There are a lot more routes, but the trad lines at Sauratown are pretty damned nice, heck even some of the sport ones are too. HV does have more to choose from. Emil has a good point about the road, the last bit would be interesting in anything icy. 

Conor Mark · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 700

I've camped and climbed both sides of HV in the low 20s and teens and had a great time. Do it!

Benandstuff · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 571

Sauratown is high quality. Hidden Valley is high quality. You should definitely go to Sauratown at least once since it will be guaranteed an easy approach and nice temps if the sun is out. Hidden Valley is doable but that steep road and that elevation can maker it slightly more unpredictable.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Dec. weather in Hidden Valley, Saurotown"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started