Mountain Project Logo

Moab Towers/Moonlight Buttress in Zion Dec. 10 - 17

Original Post
Daniel Evans · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 80

Posted last month about climbing Moonlight this winter and had a few partners fall out. As my road trip approaches, just wanted to touch base again with my itinerary and see if anyone was interested in roping up. I'll be in Indian Creek from Dec. 6 - 10 with a group of friends, but have the rest of this month off to road trip so I will be looking for partners when they leave on the 10th. 10a is sort of my limit for any trad multi-pitch at the moment, but I'm willing to grunt up 5.11 as a devout second. For Moonlight, I have a 2-person BD ledge, (2) 75 L haul bags, 4x rack of .1 - 3, and gear for a 2:1. As far as experience goes, this will be my first real wall so someone with more experience than me is preferred.

Tentative schedule (subject to change and largely dependent on weather):

Dec 10 - 13: Climb North Chimney (Castleton Tower) and Ancient Art Stolen Chimney (Fisher Towers).

Dec 13: Drive to Zion

Dec 14 - 17: Aid Moonlight Buttress (1 night on the wall close to summit, then top out early morning next day and descend trail while the sun is up).

I plan on being in JT by Dec. 18 to meet up with some friends, so the dates are solid.

Cheers,

Dan

Lisa M · · Moab UT · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5

Hey Dan-

I'm in Moab and have a flexible schedule.  Not sure if towers are going to be possible the next few weeks with weather....also I'd prefer to go cragging with a new partner before committing to a bigger route.  I've been climbing for 15 years, I have a mostly triples rack, and am confident leading 10's and some 11's.  Maybe we can meet up after you friends leave?  Either around Moab, or Indian Creek.

Lisa  

Travers Fisk · · Revelstoke, BC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Dan, I will be in Indian Creek from now to Dec 10, I plan to drive back North after that so a detour to climb North Chimney of Castleton on the 10th or 11th would certainly be a happy bonus for me. I think weather and temps would be the determining factor for this but I would be happy to meet up and crag prior to figure things out. I expect to camp at Superbowl and will leave a message on the board there.  

Lisa, If you are also looking for partners I would be happy to meet up and crag as well.

Cheers,

Travers 

Daniel Evans · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 80

Hey Lisa, that sounds great. Totally understandable, and I normally try to do the same. Sounds like we will be set for cams, ha :) I don't want to speak for Lisa, but maybe us three can all meet up somewhere on the 10th to crag and go from there depending on what the weather forecast is looking like?

Either way, I'm just stoked to climb. Let's stay in touch, my cell is 206.355.3064.

Dan

Tim Watts · · Quenza, Corsica · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 30

Please place your protection as deeply as possible. Moonlight is a route that is changing fast with all of the traffic it sees. Have fun!

Jesse Cattell · · Moab, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Hey, Dan. I live in Moab and am always looking for people to climb with in the mornings/early afternoons. I'd be more than down to hit up the north chimney or anything for that matter. Got a rope, doubles, and beer. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Utah Partners
Post a Reply to "Moab Towers/Moonlight Buttress in Zion Dec. 10…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started