Mountain Project Logo

WA/OR Ice/Mixed Climbing

Original Post
Marshall Baxter · · Washington/Oregon · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Looking for some partners to climb various ice and alpine routes throughout Washington and Oregon this winter. 

I do a lot of backcountry skiing/splitboarding and would be interested in intertwining the various activities. Pretty new to ice/mixed climbing, but levelheaded and safe, and I do have a double rack (almost) and eight screws. Definitely down to get after it.

Text anytime.

Marshall

208-921-5774

Nick Cypress · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Hey Marshall (and others),
I'm also looking to climb ice and alpine routes this winter. My primary snow/ice experience is on Hood: southside, Wy'east, Reid Headwall, and I also have some experience on Adams, St. Helens, Baker. I have a single rack, two pickets, about 5 screws, two ice tools, and a regular axe. I have a board (not split), but I'm hoping to buy an alpine touring setup and learn to ski better.

Some mountains/routes I'd love to jump on:

Yocum Ridge (Hood)
North gullies (Hood)
Jefferson
Washington
Broken Top
Stuart

John Sims · · Lander, WY · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 20

Hey! I'll get in on this, also looking for some winter alpine partners. I have a couple years experience climbing ice and larger routes. Ive got tools, screws, rope, car and am happy to travel. My big goals for the year are: My. Staurt triple couloirs, North Face Big Four peak, and North Face Mt. Graybeard, but pretty stoked to climb anything!

Hit me up (720) 250-8117

NatejWeber · · Vancouver, WA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Throwing my hat in the ring:

Nate

503-548-7354

Marshall Baxter · · Washington/Oregon · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Sweet! Thanks for replying everyone. I'll touch base with ya'll soon. Weekdays usually work the best for me :) 

psathyrella ammophila · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 2

I could also use some more winter climbing partners. Maybe it'd be useful to have a mellow group ski tour or something to meet up? Maybe after the snow pack fills in and it gets a bit properly cold later in December?

seven oh seven six oh one seven three five seven

Luke K · · Troutdale · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I'll add myself in here too.  I'm probably the least experienced of the folks here.   I did take a bunch of Alpine survival courses in the Army though.  I did Hood twice last year, St. Helens a dozen times or so and the South Sister.  I've got my own axe and crampons, but I don't have any ice tools, rope, pickets or screws (yet).  I do have a reliable vehicle that can carry up to 4 other people and would be happy to pay for fuel in order to use someone else's gear.

Luke 503-819-6680

I have extra gear, and I am happy to always exchange knowledge for a belay and some gas money. As long as we have a reliable lead on some ice, let's do this!!!

Personally, I'm looking to do some climbs on Hood.  Leuthold Coulior in particular.  Since it's been so warm lately, I'm not sure how the snow is yet.  I'm hoping to get up to Timberline maybe this weekend to do a little looking around.  

Weekends are best for me, but I could probably take a day or 2 during the week if the weather is good and we've got some good plans.  

Looking forward to it.  

Alec Entress · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I'll hop on this train too. Down for a mixture of skiing and climbing, have a decent amount of experience on steep snow and various alpine terrain. Interested in getting on more technical terrain this season. Have all the standard ski mountaineering gear, looking to get some tools soon.

Weekends are good, and I can swing week days if conditions are looking good. I'd be down for chill group tour to get to know everyone. 

(262)- nine nine three - 5383

Looks like we got a good group going, all we need now is a cold spell! Let's all keep in touch if we see/hear/feel anything that spells I-C-E. 

Cheers!

If I can get away, I'm planning to go snowshoeing up to Illumination Rock on Hood tomorrow afternoon.  I got some new cold weather gear and gloves that I'm going to test out.  

Sean Fujimori · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1

I'm also hoping to break into ice, alpine, and ski-touring this winter! About 40 pitches of trad leads under my belt, but no experience ice climbing. I have all my own personal gear for skiing and climbing, a rope, a vehicle, Friday-Sunday available most weekends, and high stoke to get out and up. 

Based in Seattle but happy to travel. seven seven four 275 fortyforty 

kyle.hornor Hornor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 20

So many psyched  people!  I am also keen.  Based in Leavenworth.  Experienced trad climber.  1 season experience following on ice.   Only have personal ice gear, ie no screws.  970-819-5468

Steve Zadrozny · · Portland · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Id like to get in on this too. Ive got a little ice experience but Im fit, able and willing to follow most things. I have personal ice gear also , no screws. 347-225-7808

Steve Zadrozny · · Portland · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0
Cypress Kappeyne wrote:

Hey Marshall (and others),
I'm also looking to climb ice and alpine routes this winter. My primary snow/ice experience is on Hood: southside, Wy'east, Reid Headwall, and I also have some experience on Adams, St. Helens, Baker. I have a single rack, two pickets, about 5 screws, two ice tools, and a regular axe. I have a board (not split), but I'm hoping to buy an alpine touring setup and learn to ski better.

Some mountains/routes I'd love to jump on:

Yocum Ridge (Hood)
North gullies (Hood)
Jefferson
Washington
Broken Top
Stuart

Been eyeing a winter ascent of washington as well.

Steve Z wrote:

Been eyeing a winter ascent of washington as well.

Jefferson is for sure on my list.  Any time of year that I can get someone to go with who knows what to do or has experience.  That's probably the one I'm most looking forward to trying.  

Joseph Williams · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Hey everyone! Looks like a good crew is getting going here. I’m new to Seattle and super stoked to get after it up here in the PNW. Experienced trad climber. Had 1 season following ice in ouray telluride and silverton, CO. I have my own tools but no screws but that can soon change. Also into anything on skis tours, backcountry etc.  mostly free on the weekends but if an objective is worth taking some time I can do weekdays as well.. Let’s do it! 

512 294 7180

Anthony L · · Hobo gulch · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 20

Weather has been and continues to look absolutely amazing if anyone is interested in getting up Stuart this coming Sunday and Monday? 

PM me if interested? Am also totally down trying for a a car to car, but I only have snowshoes...

Andrea · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 15

Ill jump in on this as well! I've done a little bit of ice climbing but would like to get out on more this winter. Experienced in trad and summer mountaineering and enjoy getting out splitboarding.

Roy B. · · Entiat, Washington · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Count me in as well. I've done a little ice climbing and a little mountaineering but would love to do a lot more this winter. In the Wenatchee area  605 939 5619

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest Partners
Post a Reply to "WA/OR Ice/Mixed Climbing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started