Mountain Project Logo

Is it better to take Oxygen and water cans when in high altitude?

Original Post
Chiranth K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Hello friends,

How good is an idea of taking a emergency oxygen can when you climb a mountain? is this a good idea or not required?

Thanks

Chiranth

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

mandatory 

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

For the oxygen, yes, but obviously I don’t take it up. I hire somebody for that. I do find that carrying water is extraneous though. 

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Which mountain? What do you mean by oxygen can? An emergency oxygen can is not going to be an effective means to supply your body with O2 if it is a single shot system. 

If you mean an oxygen tank with a regulator, then it can be helpful for high elevations. High elevattons being 6000+ meters. Even then - the modern alpine style is light and fast, and therefore emphasis is placed on proper training instead of taking oxygen tanks. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

I don't think this is a troll guys

Fredrik Ehne · · Stockholm, Sweden · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Usually you can find enough O2 just hanging around.

Chiranth K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Greg, Thanks for your reply.  What i meant about oxygen cantainer/can was something which can give me 25 breaths of enriching oxygen just in case of emergency situations. I agree that it wouldnt be enough for your body when u go such high elavations. my friend came up with an idea of making a portable bottle with water and breathable oxygen(with refills) together in one container.   

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407
Chiranth K wrote:

Greg, Thanks for your reply.  What i meant about oxygen cantainer/can was something which can give me 25 breaths of enriching oxygen just in case of emergency situations. I agree that it wouldnt be enough for your body when u go such high elavations. my friend came up with an idea of making a portable bottle with water and breathable oxygen(with refills) together in one container.   

Sorry buddy. In all honesty, it’s not a useful invention. A person either needs a lot of supplemental oxygen or none at all. The weight of carrying something around for 25 good breaths isn’t really worth it for increasing performance, and it definitely is not going to save a life. 

You may be able to sell them to tourists in Tibet and on Mt Fuji. There isn’t really a practical serious application for it though. 

climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 95

Wasn't there something for sale a few years ago that provided a few breaths of O2? I think it was the size of a CO2 canister. Thought I remember laughing at them in an REI catalog or something. 

J Squared · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

if I were to take an "Emergency Can" up with me... it would be a syringe of adrenaline 

Colson C · · Washington,DC · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Beean · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

I take these. They're convenient and I can leave the cans strewn around the summit whilst I log my name, date and route info in the register.

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215

Are you taking about situation like this OP? Than yes, definitely need O2.

Scottmx426 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Opening scene to vertical limit is amazing.  Classic scene where the Metolius cam slowly pulls from the wall. 

Yury · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Oxygen shots?
No way!
I prefer different types of shots (especially when I am back to a base camp). :)

Fredrik Ehne · · Stockholm, Sweden · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0
J Squared wrote:

if I were to take an "Emergency Can" up with me... it would be a syringe of adrenaline 

How about a beer to celebrate at the summit?

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 225
Beean wrote:

I take these. They're convenient and I can leave the cans strewn around the summit whilst I log my name, date and route info in the register.

I knew it, I'm surrounded by assholes!

Christian RodaoBack · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 1,486

I think the standard procedure is to steal it from other expeditions.

Tyman · · Hanover,pa · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 25

Maybe make it a portable bottle with water and breathable air then market it towards thirsty scuba divers

Matt Wells · · Healdsburg, CA · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

English is clearly not this accounts first language and he’s probably a new climber. Let’s not be assholes. We all come here to learn. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Is it better to take Oxygen and water cans when…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started