Mountain Project Logo

Props to Backcountry.com

Original Post
Jonny d · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 40

Just wanted to post a shout out to Dan Goodman over at Backcountry.com.  I purchased a rope from them almost a year ago.  Didn't put it to use until last weekend-- only to discover on rap that it was over a meter short.  When I got back home, I looked up my order, shot Dan and email, and arranged an exchange for a new rope.  Great service right there.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

One meter? How could you tell? Did you actually measure it or...?

Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 16

I've had excellent customer service from them, too.

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

If I came up a meter short on a rap, my first assumption wouldn't be that the rope was defectively short... 

cdawg lion · · BeaUTAHfull · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 165

did you measure the rope stretch on rappel?

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30
mpech wrote:

If I came up a meter short on a rap, my first assumption wouldn't be that the rope was defectively short... 

This

NateGfunk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 50

All dynamic ropes will stretch over a meter at the end of a rap under bodyweight...

Jonny d · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 40

It was a rope-stretching double-rope rap.  The precise difference in the unstretched rope was 54 inches.  We used doubles up the route, and I noticed that the other rope required me to take up just a little more rope (54 inches) at the belay but didn't think much more about it.  However, the rap brought the difference into sharp focus.  Had to improvise to reach the next rap station. 

DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 922

Kids these days...

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I'm surprised they replaced the rope with only one meter difference.  

Jonathan Dull · · Boone, NC · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 415

I've had nothing but positive experiences w/ Backcountry. Their customer service is top notch. 

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718
Jonny d wrote:

It was a rope-stretching double-rope rap.  The precise difference in the unstretched rope was 54 inches.  We used doubles up the route, and I noticed that the other rope required me to take up just a little more rope (54 inches) at the belay but didn't think much more about it.  However, the rap brought the difference into sharp focus.  Had to improvise to reach the next rap station. 

seems like a poorly-engineered route that a double rope rap barely brings you to the next station.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
mpech wrote:

I'd guess there is some sort of +/- tolerance in length just as there is in diameter. Does anyone know what it is? I failed at a quick bit of googling.

chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6

if this was a double rope rap, you could have been using a second rope that simply has a different percent elongation...

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 396

Backcountry is awesome. They’ve become my favorite gear shop over the last few months. I pretty much only buy from them at this point. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Props to Backcountry.com"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.