Mountain Project Logo

Absolute shit since update

Flipper Baby · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 10

The app, the desktop or mobile version, all of the changes are annoying and frustrating. 

-You have to scroll through so much convoluted crap on an area's page, 

-They removed the option that lists "other areas close to here". Nice when figuring out the names of an areas' crags and no I don't want to have to search on the map only.

-The photo pop-up box via the mobile non-app version is not at all mobile friendly.

I have more details to add to my rant but at the moment I don't want to put anymore effort in. Why make unecessary changes to the user interface, or why fix areas that were not broke? It's not an update then, it's just a rearranging.. 

Dankasaurus · · Lyons, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 85
the schmuck wrote:

I agree with pretty much all the critique, but would also like to point out that MP is NOT a free service. It was, but now exists as an advertising and marketing vehicle for REI. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it is disengenuous to claim that it is a free service. 

When a service is free...YOU are the product.

alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 176

Has the back button issue been resolved yet? 

I think it's marginally improved since 2 months ago but using the back button in the App and the Android back button still regularly kicks me back to the App home screen. Note I'm primarily using the App to browse the forum. Running Android 8.1 now.

Alexander Blum · · Livermore, CA · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 143

Frank,

People are frustrated because the old app worked very well. The new one is without question a step backwards. It seems like they started fresh instead of iterating on the old framework, which is almost always a bad idea. Sure, the app is free . . . but they make money off of us, the users. They should provide a solid user experience in exchange, and some of the issues with the new app are basically inexcusable.

It is also really disappointing to see no response from any MP staff to this thread, over a month later. If people knew their complains have been heard and were being addressed I am guessing that the complaints would be much less severe, and more constructive.

Steve Skarvinko · · SLC, UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 25

Whilst I was trying to take a quick dump prior to an alpine start this past summer, I updated to the newer version and was slightly annoyed to learn I needed to download the entire state... On the upside, at least the install gave me an excuse to further enhance my power to weight ratio. IMO this update wasn't as bad as going from Windows 7 to say 8 or 9. I'm too lazy (and not sure if this would work), but has anyone tried downgrading?

App Feedback and/or here:  "With all major changes, there might be issues.  Please report and we'll take a look."

Ryan Underwood · · Laguna Hills, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55

Ive gotten direct responses from one of the developers in a thread that was dedicated to app/website feedback.  Seems others are too, usually within a day or two.  

The back button is annoying but once you understand how the navigation tabs function it kind of makes sense.  Before you would navigate through each section individually. Example: you click California, it takes you the area page for California, then you click Jtree and so on until the you find the wall you are looking for.   Because each page was opened, the back button will take you to the previous page.  

Now the new app has the navigation tab open OVER the current area page like flash on a CPU.  When you finally navigate to the end wall you never really opened another page between California and the wall you're looking for. So of course the back button would take you "all the way back."   To solve it, you have to open Jtree, then reopen the navigation tabs to the wall you want.  Now every time you press back, it will take you to the Jtree area instead of back to California.  

Or bookmark your areas - problem solved

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "Absolute shit since update"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started