Mountain Project Logo

Tonsai (and nearby), Thailand Nov 26-Dec 5.

Original Post
Rainbow Weinstock · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 85

Hi all! I'm staying in Tonsai Nov 26- Dec 5 and looking to climb locally and at nearby places. I'm a professional guide from Boulder, CO with a good belay, rope and draws. I'm looking to find a safe and reliable partner (or two) for most of my time there. I would by happy on French grade 6- to 7- (5.10 to .12-) and want to do some multi-pitches with partners who are very experienced with those systems.

I'm also working and climbing in Chiang Mai/Crazy Horse until then if you're coming through and want to meet up or climb (on one of my days off.) Cheers!

Madison Klinghoffer · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Hey I should be in Tonsai around those dates. I'm in Vietnam currently and planning to head to Thailand the last week of this month.  Looking to climb for a few weeks in the area. I haven't climbed in about 8 months due to a shoulder and knee injury and then I've been in Indonesia surfing for the last 5 months. Before my injury, I was leading 10c range on outdoor sport routes and V5/6 on indoor boulders.  Not sure what my level will be after these last months off.  Super keen to get back on rock though! 

Jan Bruffaerts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 56

Rainbow, when you're there ask around for my buddy Mike Weitzman (he's somewhat "famous" round there) - always hanging out, skilled climber and always keen on the big multi-pitches. Can also show you some of the more 'secret' crags in the area.

Mike is also part of our local Team Climbing Camp (more info is here) : https://www.facebook.com/Chong-Pli-Climbing-Camp-Bungalows-1539963879630109/ 

The climbing camp is also a solid accomodation option when climbing in the area, as said better details are in the link.

Jan, 

Chong Pli Climbing Camp

Department of Shameless Self-Promotion

RyLee Bradley · · Salt Lake City · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Rainbow, not sure if you are still in Chiang Mai but would like to climb you. I'm currently in Chiang mai for a couple weeks. I can sport climb lead 5.10s-11bs. Let me know if you want to get some climbing in.

-RyLee 

Hi Jan, 

Thank you for the information.  I appreciate it!

Hi Rylee,

I'm leaving for Tonsai tomorrow, but thank you for the invite.

Derek Tia · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Rainbow,

Was it pretty easy to find a partner when you were in Krabi? I'm considering winging it and just finding a partner when I'm there.

Hi Derek, 

Sorry I missed this.  If you're still heading to Tonsai I can offer up advice.  Personally, I lined most of my partners beforehand, since I had multi-pitch goals.  That being said, I met a lot of people (several of them I knew from beforehand.) A better meeting place online is the Facebook group  Railay Rock Climbing.

Have fun!

Derek Tia · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks for the tips, Rainbow. I actually ended up not going to Krabi. Will join the fb group for next time.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "Tonsai (and nearby), Thailand Nov 26-Dec 5."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started