Mountain Project Logo

App Feedback

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Victor K wrote:

Generally, I like the new app, however something about the in-app navigation is off. I often wind up hitting the "back" arrow and it takes me all the way out to the state. I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong. So, like any good consumer, i blame the app. I would like it if the area navigation was stickier. It would be cool if the app could be optionally set to recognize your location and optioally navigate to the nearest crag. Or, there was a button to do that.

In general, I find the app to be a pain with regard to keeping an area loaded while you're there and actually using it as a guide book.

Not your fault. The navigation in the app is poorly designed.

Ryan Underwood · · Laguna Hills, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55

I am forced to download the entire state....but I can't even download all the pictures for an entire crag?  Keeps saying, "Opps the files size is too large, please try downloading individual areas."  Example:  It wouldn't let me download all of Owens River Gorge, so I download individual walls I knew we were going to.   Well plans change and when we couldn't navigate with MP because we only had pictures for a few select walls.

Nick Waz · · Rochester, NY · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Not a fan of the current update and thats the bottom line.

The biggest concern to me at this point is that after 15 pages of feedback and repeated complaints on several specific aspects, we've heard nothing about how MP is planning to address these issues nor has there been anything released that starts to fix these glaring problems.

@Marc - Give em' a chance.  We've been jabbing at them with them with our complaints, some have been a little snarky than called for....me included.  But I imagine it takes some time to develop an app. I doubt all our concerns will be able to be addressed in the first update as well.  But on the same hand, it would be nice to receive a "Thanks for the feedback, keep an eye out  for the next update on XXX."  

On a side note, I think my back button is functioning correctly after an update a couple days ago.  

MP definitely should of tried this in beta and asked some users to try it out.  I would of volunteered and I'm sure many others would have.

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

I use the iPhone application and would like to be able to view photos in the landscape perspective, not just portrait.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

Appreciate the work done on the app so far. Obviously some (a lot) more work to be done on it but hopefully we'll get there.

One quirky bug that has been bothering me (iphone):

Search for a route, click route, go to the description, click the "read more" to read the full description, and nothing happens, the button is broken. But if you hit the back button (top left) and then click the route a 2nd time, then the "read more" button works.

Agreed that the navigation is unintuitive and the back button often puts you somewhere you didn't intend to go. Some sort of consistent "move up 1 level in area hierarchy" button would be useful.

Marc801 C wrote:

The biggest concern to me at this point is that after 15 pages of feedback and repeated complaints on several specific aspects, we've heard nothing about how MP is planning to address these issues nor has there been anything released that starts to fix these glaring problems.

Ok now I'm a bit concerned.  A month later and the no progress with this?  At this point it would be nice for a response from MP.   

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

all your app development are belong to me

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,506

I just got an update for the app for Android on Google Play. Bookmarks are back!

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 9,999

I stopped using the app a few months ago when I was climbing off the grid and all the beta photos I had cached disappeared... that was sorta the last straw for me.

I tried it again the other day and was pleased to see that, for some reason, navigation seems more intuitive than before (I’m not sure if it’s just me or if there’s been some change). Also, I’m glad to see functioning bookmarks.

Now, if only we could get:

1) The ability to download specific areas rather than entire states

2) The ability to limit search results to downloaded areas rather than the entire database

3) The ability to rate climbs with stars without being forced to also assign a difficulty grade to those climbs

Maybe I’d start using the app regularly again instead of loading the webpage on my phone’s browser.

Alex Quinn · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

Not sure if it has already been mentioned but I'd like the ability to comment on a route from the app.

There have been several occasions where I had something to contribute right after climbing a route but didn't bother going back after the fact to comment.

Either way, nice work!

ahh I just figured out the back button.  Since you no longer need to navigate through each area to get to the sub-area/wall, the back button takes you way back to the start because technically that is back one space.  If you click a sub area and navigate from there, the back button will bring you back to that sub area first.   So it's not really something the app developers did, it's just the effect from the new navigation tabs.

In addition, the bookmarks are back! And has made the app usable again.  MP even apologized for taking this away from us.  Much appreciated guys!!!

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
Josh Janes wrote:

3) The ability to rate climbs with stars without being forced to also assign a difficulty grade to those climbs

This is quite annoying.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
Ryan U. wrote:

ahh I just figured out the back button.  Since you no longer need to navigate through each area to get to the sub-area/wall, the back button takes you way back to the start because technically that is back one space.  If you click a sub area and navigate from there, the back button will bring you back to that sub area first.   So it's not really something the app developers did, it's just the effect from the new navigation tabs.

I figured this out as well but it still is annoying to me and I always forget and then go way too far back. 

A new annoyance. When I tap on ‘forums’in the app, I am always presented with the login page, even if I am already logged in. I  tap on ‘skip’ and it takes me to the forum section, logged in to my account. 

The other annoyance is that if I log in with Facebook, mountain project changes my last name in MP to my real last name.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

I am quite annoyed yes by precise shade of blue on which your app it is developing!

all your flash are belong to me!

all your app development are belong to me!

hahahahahahahahohohohohohohohhya hya hya myahhhhh myahhghghghghghggh! mya? mya hya hra MYAH!

Wendy Williams · · Boyce, VA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 5

My frustration: Once I download the photos, I can’t see them when I’m in airplane mode on the iPhone. I deleted the app and reinstalled as instructed. It worked until I quit the app. Then back to not showing the pics in airplane mode. Been happening since day one. I give up.

Back button in forums on the app takes you all the way back to the home page.   This one I can't understand why.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "App Feedback"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started