Mountain Project Logo

FS: WC #5

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Old Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0
abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54

Email sent

Daniel Winder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 101

Still available? Email sent

Old Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

No longer available. Thanks guys.

Hey, still waiting for that cam and e-mails are now being bounced back. Please let me know.

Dan

Daniel Winder wrote:

Hey, still waiting for that cam and e-mails are now being bounced back. Please let me know.

Dan

I bought it... Did you as well? Still haven't received it, but hoping it's on the way.

kendallt wrote:

I bought it... Did you as well? Still haven't received it, but hoping it's on the way.

uh-oh. I bought it too:(

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Daniel Winder wrote:

uh-oh. I bought it too:(

Hmmm. Seller was only a MP member for 25 days before posting. Has no contributions other than FS postings. Sells same cam to two different parties and disappears. Guess this is the reason for that 3% buyer protection fee on Paypal. 

Logan Peterson · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 196

While I don't want to jump to conclusions, the OP here is using a free email service that's apparently frequented by scammers in such places as Nigeria and Somalia. 

https://www.419scam.org/419-rescueteam-com.htm

AndrewArroz wrote:

Hmmm. Seller was only a MP member for 25 days before posting. Has no contributions other than FS postings. Sells same cam to two different parties and disappears. Guess this is the reason for that 3% buyer protection fee on Paypal. 

There's one partner finder post for Moab. Fortunately paypal should cover me in the event that the cam never shows up though I'm sure it'll take months. It's fairly normal for people here to transfer money as 'friends and family' to avoid the fee though so no doubt some people could be losing money. I thought about it, glad I didn't.

The seller is obviously familiar with climbing gear, for whatever that's worth. Old Climbers MP account now shows "This Account No Longer Active" not sure if the admins blocked him or what, but with no working mountain project account, no working email (and here I thought it was climbing rescue team...), there's probably no way to work out any miscommunication.

He emailed both me and Daniel Winder saying he would mail us both the cam (after we both paid). Maybe they got overwhelmed with emails and got mixed up, but... I don't think the cam is coming.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
kendallt wrote:

There's one partner finder post for Moab. Fortunately paypal should cover me in the event that the cam never shows up though I'm sure it'll take months. It's fairly normal for people here to transfer money as 'friends and family' to avoid the fee though so no doubt some people could be losing money. I thought about it, glad I didn't.

The seller is obviously familiar with climbing gear, for whatever that's worth. Old Climbers MP account now shows "This Account No Longer Active" not sure if the admins blocked him or what, but with no working mountain project account, no working email (and here I thought it was climbing rescue team...), there's probably no way to work out any miscommunication.

He emailed both me and Daniel Winder saying he would mail us both the cam (after we both paid). Maybe they got overwhelmed with emails and got mixed up, but... I don't think the cam is coming.

I wonder if he ever sold that #12 Valley Giant he just had laying around..

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

I was emailing this guy a few weeks ago about buying a full rack of WC tech friends, something seemed sketch (just joined mp, inconsistencies, suspiciously cheap) so I bailed..glad I did. 

Ice4life · · US · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 330

Looks like he's from UT. Maybe he frequents a gym and used his info there, could be worth contacting Provo police department. The quarry rock climbing gym and momentum rock climbing gym would probably cooperate with an investigation and hand over billing info, picture, etc. If the guys been there. Idk, worth a shot, he could have faked it all, but you won't know till you try.

Also please post his name, payment info, everything there is so others aren't scammed

John Klooster · · Arvada, CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 10

I bought a cam from him 10 days ago that has not shown up. After seeing this post I tried contacting him but emails bounce back. We emailed a few times before I paid him and he definitely knew what he was talking about.  I started the complaint process with PayPal but figure it will be a long drawn out process 

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

Yikes. Looks like hes burned quite a few people. Perhaps a thread should be started in the FS section with all the info we have for known scammers. 

Logan Peterson · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 196

I believe there was a thread by the name of Unsavory Characters. Perhaps we can resurrect it.

Ice4life · · US · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 330
Logan Peterson wrote:

I believe there was a thread by the name of Unsavory Characters. Perhaps we can resurrect it.

There definitely was at one point. It used to be a thread at the very top when you clicked into the for sale thread

Paypal refunded my $70 today. It's likely this person is trolling the forums on a new account. I suggest everyone doesn't do the 'friends and family' thing to save 3%.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started