Mountain Project Logo

Mokelumne Tetons

Original Post
Bobby Hutton · · Grizzly Flat, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 1,153

Since the recent snows in the Sierra's I have started to explore those mountains virtually. I came across some pictures of neat looking domes in the Mokelumne Wilderness. I found very little online about the Mokelumne Tetons save for a few pictures and one mention of someone climbing a 5.7+ out there somewhere. Has anyone been out there or have knowledge of people climbing out there? 

Morty Gwin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

Yep been out there regularly. Too chossy for really good climbing but there's some 7's and 8's. There's good skiing when the snow cover happens. It's quite beautiful territory.

Thanks Maureen, 

Yeah it does look gorgeous and I love that area in general. 

Do you have any topo's or Beta for out there? Do you approach it from Silver Lake or from Bear River Reservoir area? 

Morty Gwin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

I don't keep much electronic data for this area. It's accessible from the mokulumne peak, for which most people use the Tanglefoot TH. There's mostly cross country travel as there are no actual trails that come down the bottom of the canyon all the way through. Some trails will go into the canyon, mostly fisherman I guess. You can get into the upper side of the canyon from various locations on multi day trips, from Blue Lakes, Silver Lake, even Caples Lake. Good route finding keeps you out of the shrubbery. The trip from bear valley reservoir to Tanglefoot takes high clearance when the road is open. Subie stoppers in bad weather in there. Thrashing the creek from below the small shoulder ridge called the Tetons is brushy. But the mokulumne peak is class 2 when you go around to the top. Better hiking scrambling and skiing than climbing

Thanks Maureen,

Lots of good Info. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Mokelumne Tetons"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started