Mountain Project Logo

DFW Newbie Trying to Get Outdoors

Original Post
Kelly Kunreuther · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Hey Y'all,

I've been climbing for a bit over 8 months and I'm trying to gain as much experience outside as possible. A friend and I have been making trips out to Paluxy River and Eisenhower State Park and trying some lower end boulders, but we've only got one beefy crash pad so we've been a bit limited. I'm interested in TR/Sport climbing as well. 

I also climb at Summit Dallas three times a week so if you want to climb together in the gym too that works for me. 

Thanks!

Tyler Zhao · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

How far are you willing to go? I'm trying to go to Reimers ranch.

I'd be down for Reimer's, but I'd need a bit of a heads up. Maybe like 2-3 weeks out just let me know that you're going and I'll let you know if I can tag along. For somewhere closer like Mineral Wells I'd be willing to on a shorter notice.

Thanks for reaching out!

Emily P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I've never climbed at mineral wells (and am not that excited to go); but it is really close to my house so I would be willing to climb there sometime between Dec 26-Jan4.

David Suckstorff · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 612

If you want to do some (relatively) close bouldering, check out Roger's Park or Tonkawa Falls. Both areas are really fun and you can get away with only one pad. If I still lived in the area I'd totally join you!

Emily is right IMO, mineral wells is just alright. It's definitely worth going once, maybe twice, but setting up top ropes there is a big hassle and the climbing itself is kinda just OK.

@Emily, Unfortunately I'll be out of town during that time but my climbing partner and I are always stoked for TR/lead since we're still gaining experience in it. I just mentioned it because it's so close by.

@David, I'll have to check it out! They both seem great. We go to Nolan River and Paluxy River a lot for bouldering, but we're still getting used to reading problems outside which makes it tough. You're more than welcome to meet us out there one weekend if you're ever around, it'd be great to have any experienced boulderers with us!

Eric Demo · · Cedar Park · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 20

any weekend you want to go to reimers, let me know.  

Brent Duncan · · Fort Worth, TX · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0

Kelly,

Still looking for adventures in the area?  Ever climb at the Summit Fort Worth Gym?  I can meet you at Grapevine as well and want to check out the new Plano facility.

Brent

Bo London · · Richardson, TX · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I will be at Plano gym Thursday. Look for a bald gumby, and you've found me. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Texas Partners
Post a Reply to "DFW Newbie Trying to Get Outdoors"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started