Mountain Project Logo

Joints and cold?

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Insert reefer madness jokes here...

I have arthritis in both knees, symptoms showed up a year ago.

Now, a year later, with PT and being diligent about being active, they are doing much better.

We are only started into cold weather, and I don't know how pissed off they will be in the real cold later, but they already seem to be a little worse.

Any one using knee wraps/sleeves of some sort, just to keep them warm? Does that help? If so, what are you using?

Thanks! So far, I'm staying off the painkillers, and I want to keep it that way as long as possible.

Best, Helen

SMarsh · · NY, NY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 37

My experience with my own arthritis is that continued activity reduces pain.

I find that after a very intense day, I might need Tylenol afterwards, as the joints tend to stiffen.

I've attempted to research the question, but very little information is consistent -- or not contradicted by some other source.  My summation:

- There are a lot of unknowns in the search for relief from the 60 or so ailments that are termed "arthritis".

- Continue to exercise at the level that you presently can sustain -- that should help.

- Keep up joints' blood flow -- that is also critical.

I wouldn't think that wraps would increase blood flow, so perhaps they might help, but I have no experience or opinion.

Good luck!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

My knees used to bother me (road) biking once the temps dropped into the 50s. Coincidentally, OK not a coincidence, that's when I'd pull out my riding tights. Eventually I learned it wasn't the cold that bothered my knees, it was the pressure on the kneecaps from the tights. So, while I don't ride like that any more, when it gets cold, one thing I do is effectively "overdress" my lower body. I'm often wearing full-on fleece pants under my baggy climbing pants when temps are in the low 40s. No knee problems. And a side benefit is my feet stay warmer b/c (as I see it; forgive me if this isn't physiologically accurate) the blood isn't being chilled as it moves down cold legs. Same justification for wearing insulated gaiters during snow season.

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 16,608
Old lady H wrote:

Any one using knee wraps/sleeves of some sort, just to keep them warm?

Other than battery-operated or chemical warmers, for keeping joints warm nothing beats the continuing infusion and circulation of hot liquid reheated from your body core (as GunkieMike's experience shows).

So adding more clothing could help -- so long as it does not even slightly reduce blood circulation.

I'll guess that the important thing is get your knees through the first 10-15 minutes out in the cold -- after that I'd think the increased circulation of blood from exercise (in addition to whatever you normally would have worn on your legs for exercising in that situation) should be sufficient.

. . . (Toes in downhill ski boots are a special case, because the boots are _designed_ to constrict the foot -- so now you can purchase ski boots with battery electrical warmers built in).

Ken

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Joints and cold?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started