Mountain Project Logo

Stuff to do In SLC area

Original Post
Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35

Ill be traveling to the SLC area for the week of thanksgiving to see some friends, i'll be with my GF who's also outdoorsy.  We will have lots of time for us to explore on our own without our resident friends.  Those of you in the SLC area can you please recommend some  activities for us to do, we will be in town 11/18 - 11/26.  As of now we will be planning to be fly fishing either 11/20 or 11/22 but that's the only thing on the schedule.  As for climbing I am comfortable at 5.10b sport and boulder V2+/3-.  We have zero trad experience but we aren't opposed to following it if you are willing to lead easier (5.9 and below) routes.  We will be coming up from Southern California via highway I-15.

11/18: Leave Vegas, Arrive in SLC

11/19: Climbing: American Fork Canyon and find some sun, Big Cottonwood?

11/20: Fly Fishing day trip

11/21: Friends off work, play it by ear

11/22: Check out the sights in Salt Lake City: Temple Square, Liberty Park, Sunset Hike to Ensign Peak?

11/23: Turkey Day – Friends off work - Maybe an easy day hike/climbing/bouldering before food?

11/24: Check Out Park City and High West

11/25: Antelope Island / Stansbury Island?

11/26: Leave SLC, arrive in Vegas

Edited to add: an updated schedule.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

snowboard/ski

maybe lower ferguson(sp?) cyn will be snow free but itll still  be cold.  Theres routes in there you can setup top ropes on I believe. Theres also the "red rocks" in town but locals can chime in on that 

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

Park City and/or Heber can be fun for a day.  

It doesn't get any nichy-er than this:

http://www.parkcityyogaadventures.com/paddleboard

SUP yoga in a crater hot springs.  Too funny.  

https://www.westernriversflyfishing.com/River-Conditions

You might consider a quick trip to the Green for fishing.  You could rent a boat or hire a guide for the day and float.  Or, bank fish.

A day trip to the Ham's Fork in Wyoming wouldn't be bad.  Close enough to SLC.  Hit the brewpub in Evanston on the way home.  Or, dig up some fossil fish.

Depending on weather and snow conditions, there's a lot of nice hiking in the foothills.  

Sunny crags in BCC for sport.  Go to AF and find some sun.

There's a few locations in LCC that are sunny where setting up a TR is possible.  Kids find the crisp cold conditions sending temp's this time of year for bouldering.

Ski/snowboard or, if its been snowing, snowshoe.  Plenty of local trails.  Don't boot out my skin track, brah.

Antelope Island is fun for a day trip.  Stansbury can be too with some bouldering and nice hiking, great views of the salty lake.

Folks hike into Diamond Fork hot springs as a long day trip from SLC.

cdawg lion · · BeaUTAHfull · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 165

don't drink too much

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Where are you planning on Fly Fishing?

I recommend some sport climbing in American Fork Canyon. Very fun stuff, I can recommend some routes if you want. There is some decent bouldering in Little Cottonwood, not my favorite but its decent. If you want some legit/classic bouldering take a day trip to Joe's valley, this is prime time to boulder there. Its about a two hour drive from SLC. 

Hiking - I don't hike too much if it doesn't involve climbing. Right now there is snow on all the tall stuff. Utah hikes go as follow: straight up, turn around, straight down. 

Other ideas: take a day trip to Park City. Go to the vegan donut shop or the vegan icecream shop in Salt Lake City (delicious). 

hogle zoo

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240

Good suggestions so far.  The Natural History Museum is really worth checking out if you're looking for something indoors.  Sport climbing in AF is great.  There's also great sport climbing in Big Cottonwood.  An easy pre-food hike could be anywhere along the shoreline trail or going up Bells Canyon to the first waterfall.  Park City is always fun I'd check out the Olympic park area and the High West Distillery. Also looks like Colorado will be playing the Utes on the 25th.  Diamond Fork Hot Springs would be fun too especially if you're coming up from the South.  You could also think about making a pit stop in Zion on your way up.  Not sure on the snow status but it's possible the ski resorts could be open as well.

zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 790
Tim Lutz wrote:

Rent a mtn bike, lot's of trails to do. 

Take a tour of some ghost towns. The mining towns are the most interesting imo. 

bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,516

Some ski resorts are scheduled to be open by then but it is likely to be icy man made snow unless we get s weather pattern shift.

All day: 

See the sport climbing that everyone does here in SLC in BIg Cottonwood Canyon at challenge buttress area, reservoir ridge, dogwood, or the Salt Lake slips. 

Get some vert  and get off the ground at Back of Beyond in Big Cottonwood Canyon. Do Moss Lords of the Wasatch then Super.8 for a big hike and some nice mellow climbing. Take jackets.  

Drive down to American Fork and climb at One of the nice sport crags  

avoid crowds and do a few routes at This is the Choss or the Jug Haul Wall ; ) Red Rock in Draper also has some quick access sport climbing.

Go to the climbing gym. There are some really high end indoor climbing and bouldering spots in Salt Lake. Momentum Climbing and The Front both have multiple gyms within an hour of SLC. The front downtown and momentum Millcreek and momentum Sandy are the closest. 

Hike to ensign peak or the “Living Room” and watch the sun set. 

Go mountain biking on the shoreline trail or out at antelope island in the great Salt Lake. 

Boulder in Little Cottonwood Canyon. 

Hire a guide to take you trad climbing

Tailgating before the UofU game is a fun place to drink. Wear red go to the parking lot north of the ice rink on Guardsman way 2 hours before kickoff. People of all ages partying like theyre in college again. BYOB

Visit Salt Lake.com or nowplaying utah .com list stuff to do. 

There’s a 5k turkey trot in city creek canyon the morning of thanksgiving  

Have fun

BigB wrote:

snowboard/ski

We don't snowboard or ski. Thanks though.

Tim Lutz wrote:

try on some Holy Underwear

That wont help me at all.  I already have a drawer full of holy chonies

grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

Where are you planning on Fly Fishing?

We have a guide for the 20th and we will either be going to the Provo or the Weber rivers.

I recommend some sport climbing in American Fork Canyon. Very fun stuff, I can recommend some routes if you want. There is some decent bouldering in Little Cottonwood, not my favorite but its decent. If you want some legit/classic bouldering take a day trip to Joe's valley, this is prime time to boulder there. Its about a two hour drive from SLC. 

If you don't mind could you share some good fun routes.  We are not limited to just single pitch routes either.

Fly fishing: that will be awesome! I went in the Uintas this summer a bunch and it was fantasitic. 

As for some good AFC (american fork canyon) routes: Some great moderate crags: Hard Rock, Eavesdown Docks, and Division wall. All of these have some really good climbs next to each other for you to choose from. Some of my favorite moderate routes: Winds of Fire, Platinum Blonde, Firefly, and my number 1 favorite route in the canyon - Emotional Geometry. Emotional Geometry is either a two pitch climb or a really long single pitch (i always do it with 15-16 draws as one long pitch. The first half is a fun 5.8 and the second half is a 5.10 bolted crack! pretty cool!

If you want some multipitch sport check out Rock Canyon near Provo. Not the most aesthetic rock, but very fun climbing. https://www.mountainproject.com/area/classics/105739292/rock-canyon

Also it turns out our place to stay is in Sandy not SLC.  They are quite close so its not that big of a difference to me.  anything to see in and or do in Sandy?

I live in Sandy. There is nothing interesting about it, other than its a centralish location. The climbing gym in Sandy, Momentum Sandy, is pretty cool. I recommend checking it out if you have a bad weather day. If you get a day pass you can do the yoga classes too. 

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

I live in Sandy. There is nothing interesting about it, other than its a centralish location. 

Dude, come on!  We're the gateway to Cottonwood Heights!

Ha ha.

Great access to LCC.  And Bells.

You could rent a gun at the Armory and do some shootin'....

I live in Sandy. There is nothing interesting about it, other than its a centralish location. The climbing gym in Sandy, Momentum Sandy, is pretty cool. I recommend checking it out if you have a bad weather day. If you get a day pass you can do the yoga classes too. 

could be midvale or west valley...."count your blessings" ;)

Does BCC and LCC stand for Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon?

Daniel T wrote:

Does BCC and LCC stand for Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon?

yes

zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 790

BCC has bigger CW trees than LCC. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Stuff to do In SLC area"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started